Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers Cage inside of concave sort of area?

Amylittlehands

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,
I live in a small-ish two bedroom flat and I'm finding it difficult to find space for a 30"x36" minimum C&C cage. However, I had a sort of eureka moment (Will have to discuss with other half first). We basically have this sort of miniature room in our apartment build for shoes I believe, I measured it and it's 42" x 50" which is plenty of room for one piggy maybe even two. The problem is that it's dark there, which I think I can surpass this problem by using those LED lights that stick on the ceiling. Before you shout at me! :p I will be letting my piggy out most of the day so getting the vital natural light isn't a problem for me really.

One big problem I'm trying to resolve is how to cat proof the area as it doesn't have a door, I thought that I could use the C&C grids to build a sort of wall to avoid cats getting in but there's no way I can think of securing it without damaging the property (I'm renting). The 'door' would need to go inside of the shoe room but the cats could easily push it over, so I don't know how to get over that problem. One other thing as well, I'm planning to use a plastic covered table cloth for the base with wood pellets on top then fleece. Does that sound like a good idea?

If anyone has any ideas to help me with my problem I'd appreciate it!

Here's some images of what I have for the space. Please keep in mind that the room is a sufficient size for the piggy/s but half the height as this and there's an opening/archway to the concave, it's bigger when you look into it. I'll try and upload an image of it properly tomorrow.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Cage inside of concave sort of area?

If the space before the angle is tall enough you could just build a straight C&C cage with a lid so that the cat doesn't get in. You could easily fit a 2x3 or a 3x3 in there, maybe bigger (I'm horrid at math.) I would suggest taking the actual door off, as in remove it from the hinges. I've rented and usually if you want to take a door off you can have it stored in the main office area if it's an apartment or put it somewhere you have room for it if you're in a house. Then before you move you can put the door back on. If not just leave the door open and get some LED lights to go in there to make sure it's light enough. Lots of floor time will give them the natural light too. Good luck.

If the space before the angle is tall enough you could just build a straight C&C cage with a lid so that the cat doesn't get in. You could easily fit a 2x3 or a 3x3 in there, maybe bigger (I'm horrid at math.) I would suggest taking the actual door off, as in remove it from the hinges. I've rented and usually if you want to take a door off you can have it stored in the main office area if it's an apartment or put it somewhere you have room for it if you're in a house. Then before you move you can put the door back on. If not just leave the door open and get some LED lights to go in there to make sure it's light enough. Lots of floor time will give them the natural light too. Good luck.
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I was clear in my post, basically there is no door as such, so that would mean full access for the cats. I think your suggestion to build a very tall c&c cage is a very good idea, however I'm not able to spend £60+ on two sets, they're impossible to find cheap sadly. I was hoping to build some sort of wall and attach it to the woodframe but that would damage it, plus I don't know how I could easily access it to clean.

I'm still thinking of a master plan haha.

Alternitavly I could have it in the spare room but not sure if there's enough room in there to build a 2x3-2x4 c&c cage. I'll have to do some measuring today!

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I was clear in my post, basically there is no door as such, so that would mean full access for the cats. I think your suggestion to build a very tall c&c cage is a very good idea, however I'm not able to spend £60+ on two sets, they're impossible to find cheap sadly. I was hoping to build some sort of wall and attach it to the woodframe but that would damage it, plus I don't know how I could easily access it to clean.

I'm still thinking of a master plan haha.

Alternitavly I could have it in the spare room but not sure if there's enough room in there to build a 2x3-2x4 c&c cage. I'll have to do some measuring today!

HI
Only thing I can think of is to build a normal c&c cage with a lid as someone else said. I made a 2x4 with a lid and it only took 1 set of grids. Think it would be easier than trying to block off the entrance with something!

I have seen tons of people have "closet" cages. They line the floor with a shower curten, then uhaul pads (2 or 3 because you will have no coroplast) then fleece.

I can't think of what to do about the cats though. Mabey it will come to me later, good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.