Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage Idea - Tip or Suggestions?

KellNik

Cavy Slave
GuineaPigCage-1.jpg
GuineaPigCage-1.jpg
or http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo164/MxV13/GuineaPigCage-1.jpg

I figured I'd make good use of the one I already have. Instead of cutting out the one side, I'd make some ramps to go over the side.

Please give me tips/suggestions on cage size, structure, or things inside the cage.

I have most of the supplies, but haven't started building, so I'm open to changing anything.

Thanks. :)

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I think it will look nice when it is finnished.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Do you mean that you want the ramp to go to the top of the pet store cage and then another ramp to go down into it? I think those ramps will be far too steep.

Using your pet store cage as a second level will work just fine, but I would cut out part of a side of it so the ramp can go directly from the main level to the store cage. Check out the galleries--there are lots of good ideas there.

Other than that, your design looks great.

Africa

Cavy Slave
It looks great, I dont think the ramps will be too steep. It depends on what your store cage is like and how you make the ramps. Before I converted to just plain C&C I did the same as you: I used the store cage as a kitchen and used ramps to go from the store cage to the expanded area and it worked well. I just made them slope gently by making them go out further (then the ramp serves as an extra hidey or for them to run under). Both my boys had no problems using it

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Her pet store cage is only 26" long. So the ramp could extend at the most about 20". Given that the cage is probably about 14" or so tall, that will be too steep. Similarly, a ramp to go up about 28" can only be about 45" long. That is also quite steep.

I agree that you can use a petstore cage as a second level. I just think that it's worth cutting a side to make one gradual ramp rather than one ramp to go up two stories and then another to go back down into the pet store cage. At least that's how I'm reading the original post.

KellNik

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! :) I'm glad you like it.

Do you mean that you want the ramp to go to the top of the pet store cage and then another ramp to go down into it? I think those ramps will be far too steep.

I've gotten a wooden organizer from Micheal's that hollow inside (so I can carve out a hidey) and has a solid diagonal side. I put in the cage and it didn't seem too steep. I let i stretch the hole width of the cage except for a space big enough for them to get off the ramp.

Edit: The metal cage bars on that side will be gone. The ramp will only have to cover about 6" worth of plastic bottom. :)

I've also seen Blondie scamper up steeper slopes, (like my book-bag, for example) much to my horror. :melodrama

Using your pet store cage as a second level will work just fine, but I would cut out part of a side of it so the ramp can go directly from the main level to the store cage. Check out the galleries--there are lots of good ideas there.

I'll probably end up doing that; I was just hoping not to have to so I could take the cage apart if I need to, or just wanted to change it. I know i'll be upgrading it all the time. :p

Thanks for the help!

Is there anything thing else I can build with wood other than hideys for them? There's a sale going on for 2x4s in the Warehouse in my town. I want to know if I should stock up now.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If you don't already have a stand for your cage, I bet you could make a nice one out of wood. It's nice to get the cage off the ground so you don't tower over your pigs. Plus it's less drafty higher up. It's not essential though if you prefer to have the cage on the ground.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Is there anything thing else I can build with wood other than hideys for them? There's a sale going on for 2x4s in the Warehouse in my town. I want to know if I should stock up now.

Gizzy's whole new cage is mostly wood as well as the stand. I also build her a nice run for outside out of wood. I also made her some fun ramps and such to play with in the house as well as a ramp so she can run onto the sofa. She has to date not chewed on any of her wooden things - will have to wait 9 more sleeps to see if she will chew on anything in the new cage.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If you have access to cubes and coroplast, I would not use wood. With cubes and coroplast, you can change the cage later if you need it to be a different size. Also, wood can absorb moisture and rot. C&C cages are waterproof. They are also lighter in weight and are far easier to make.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
If you have access to cubes and coroplast, I would not use wood.

We do not get it in South Africa - believe me I have tried. I treat all the wood with waterproofing - the same as they use on boats - checked with the one Cavy Savy Vet I could find and he said this should actually make Gizzy not want to chew on the wood (thus far she has not chewed on any of her wooden things - she likes chewing on her toyrabbit)

After the wood is treated I cover it with a plastic table clothe that is taped down with double sided Velcro so it stays in place and then I put the towels and fleece over that.

However only time will tell if this will last!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
We do not get it in South Africa - believe me I have tried.

I was referring to the original poster, who I'm guessing is probably in the US, Canada, or Europe since that's where most people here are from. Wood works if it's the best option you have, but for people who have access to coroplast, that is a much easier option. That's not to say that you can't use wood--it's just more difficult.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.