Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage for Quarantine ???

dial919

Cavy Slave
Hi,
Some of you may remember we lost our "Kojo" on Saturday (my heart is still aching but feeling a little better). A friend's piggie had babies about 3-4 weeks ago and they are giving them to the pet store in exchange for food - UGH. (topic for another thread). Anyhow, we are going to adopt one of the babies this Thursday or Friday.

What do most of you use for a quarantine cage? a store bought one?
I don't have room for another c&c cage (plus don't want to go thru the expense for only 2-3 weeks). I thought about using one of those under the bed storage containers (without the lid of course) and then just put up the play pen around it in case she gets out. (yes - it will be in another room) thoughts???

thanks!

Hi there,
Congratulations on your potential new piggie! I used my old pet store cage for Penny's quarantine - my rational was that she didn't know any better (she wasn't in a large cage before), was only 3 months (small), and the petstore cage was equivalent to a 1x3 C&C.
There may be ventilation issues with the plastic box arrangements... can you borrow a friends cage?

How big is that "under bed" storage container?
Ones I've gotten for under my kids beds (for toys) are like 4ft long by 2ft wide & about 8 inch's high and would be ok surely for only a few weeks.

The storage box is fine for quarantine. Go for it

yes - the storage box I have nly 6 inches high (which is about the height of the coroplast around the c&c cage. approx 15" by 33". still bigger than many pet storage cages. Plus she is still very tiny - only 3-4 weeks old. My son has a box under his bed, which maybe a little longer. I will have to check oncehe wakes up.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who has a cage to borrow.

thanks

Just use the container. Line it with some comfy fleece and put in bundles of hay

It dosen't matter, just as long as the cage isn't incredibly small. It's only 3 weeks anyways.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.