Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Cage for 6

algrif40

Cavy Slave
Ok. The babies are finally old enough (and female!) to get mixed back with dad-neutered. So now the grand total is 6 piggies. Right now it's been mom and babies in one 2x4 cage and dad in a 2x4 cage. I'm trying to figure out the dimensions for a new cage. 2x8? 4x6? What would be convenient and easiest to maintain? I'm also looking at putting an upper deck on. probably a one grid width running along long edge of cage. Any ideas?

A 2x8 would probably work depending upon the pigs, but a 4x6 would be even better. I have four pigs in one cage and for that many I prefer to go at least 3 grids wide... I feel the extra width helps everyone keep their distance if they need to.

The loft idea would work, I just prefer to not have a loft for convenience and the fact that I have a pretty big cage. I find cleaning a wider cage easier than cleaning a cage with a loft, but that is because I do a lot of grid dismantling while cleaning.

So a 4x6 is big enough for 6 pigs? Just want to make sure if I need to go bigger

4x6 is plenty of space... I would bet you will have some really happy pigs in there.

4x6 is 32 sq feet, while 2x8 is only around 21 sq feet. I would definitely go with the 4x6 if you have the space, a 3x6 is nearly 25 sq feet and would be a bit easier to clean than the 4x6.

4X6 it is! I just realized that my cages are the infamous target 8 square across grids as opposed to the 9 square across grids. Ugh. Now I have to buy all new! I ordered some from staples so hopefully they will be here soon. Now I have a large surplus of too big grids.

If you have a bunch of extra grids, you could overlap (as some do for 'babyproofing') and could still use the grids you have.

Or maybe use the bigger ones as the base? If you are going to use coroplast that may work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.