Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C cage expansion

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'm an idiot.

I just built a cage and I built it as 2x4 and now I want a bigger one since we're adding another piggie soon (through a local rescue!).

• We have cats so we must keep the cage covered.
  • I want to add a 2x2 expansion.
  • expansion and not a bigger cage overall so that I can use my existing coroplast and just duct tape together a new section to join it on.

Questions:
  • is there a benefit to add the expansion lengthwise (to make it a 2x6 cage) vs. adding the expansion to the front creating a "V" shape?
  • is 2x2 enough?
  • I was also thinking that if I did a 2x2 I could put a loft on the expansion which would give them an additional 2x1 space on the 2nd floor. Is the loft better in a 2x6 cage vs. a "v" shaped cage?

thank you!

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
ok! well, no one tell me I did it wrong after I complete my remodel, lol!

I hope to work on it this weekend so I'll share pictures when I'm finished.

guineashark

Cavy Slave
I'm no expert, but it seems that it's really all about preference so long as the pigs are provided with enough flat running space. Bigger is always better, but the shape is totally up to you.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
My understanding is the longer the better. If you do put a L shape make sure the longest straight path is the minimum length for the number of pigs you have.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@BFGuru, longer is not better, particularly if it's narrow, and especially if you're talking about boars. A 3x4 cage and a 2x6 cage have the same square footage, but the 3x4 gives them more room to run around without getting in each other's faces.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
Hmmm. I have learned today. I could have sworn when I was putting the first cage together they needed length to run.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They do need to room to run. But a long narrrow space gives them too much opportunity to run into each other. In a wider cage, they've got more of a chance of avoiding each other if they want. and still have the same amount of square footage to run in.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
Good to know if I ever add a third. Mine are currently in a 2X5 which is technically enough for 3 but since 2 are used to it I would probably add anyway so it doesn't turn into threes a crowd lol.

No money for a 3rd yet. Have to be responsible with funds for 2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.