Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage design for a 2x4 with loft

riizu

Cavy Slave
I'm posting in the hopes of getting some help/advice. I currently have a one-level 2x4 cage with one guinea pig since Bean passed away.

I want to expand it to have a 2x2 loft before I adopt a friend for her. I'm trying to figure out a way to have an overhang, as well as have it low enough that the piggies won't need a ramp (like here: Crafts, Cavies, Contras and Confections: No-Ramp Loft).

Is there a way I can do this? I have one plan, but I'm not sure if it's going to be strong enough, since it means the upper level would be held on by zip ties. Any ideas?

[GuineaPigCages.com] Cage design for a 2x4 with loft

That's why I was planning an overhang. I want to avoid a ramp because I want three piggies and ramps take up a lot of space. I'm hoping to out the kitchen there and have the original 2x4 as just living space. Thanks for the reply!

If you use the heavy-duty zip ties (those that can take 50lb weight or higher), you should be alright. If you have it overhanging by a whole grid and resting on half-grids underneath, it should be pretty solid. I've moved my cage a number of times, by holding onto that upper level, and those ties have never broken. I figure that's a lot more stress than a pair of fat pigs can put on it. Just zip-tie the heck out of it.

I think your biggest problem will be, if you overhang by a whole grid, is getting under the loft to clean the coroplast underneath. Next time you clean the cage, I'd temporarly zip-tie a couple of grids at that height, and see how it feels to try and clean the lower level.

@riizu, That is a nice design. Are you planning to use the space underneath the overhang for anything? If not, your pigs would probably enjoy the extra space on the main level more than having the loft. Since you are planning for 3 pigs, while 2x4 is fine, the bigger cage will always be better.

If you are set on the design, it's fine to use the grid to support the overhang of the loft. Pinky has a cage with similar design. Her cage is not a loft though.

If you have more grids, you could also turn the space under the overhang into storage.

Thanks for all the tips! Right now the kitchen is taking up a lot if run-space which is why I want to elevate it.

I don't have enough room to expand out as much as I want to, and going up seems to make the most sense for now.

We're looking to adopt piggy #2 this weekend, and I'll post pictures of the loft once it's done. I've decide to go with a ramp because I don't want cleaning to be a nightmare. The pictures you all have posted have been very helpful.

I'm going with a lift and ramp, but wanted to share the construction pictures. It's not done, and needs to be reinforced with zip ties. I also haven't built the ramp yet. It's looking pretty solid at the moment. when it's ready I will move the kitchen upstairs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.