Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage cleaning during winter

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
I just got my girls in the beginning of this summer, so I'm not well-advised on the winter cage cleaning. How do you get rid of the hay on the fleece? Brushing just isn't good enough and I don't think shaking it outside would be a good idea -- 1) it really wouldn't look good on the snow, and 2) it's just really cold.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
By last winter I was using wood shavings, so I don't have any experience with fleece that time of year. Could you try shaking the fleece out into a garbage bag? I'm not sure how well it would work, but it might be worth a try.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Shaking the fleece out into garbage bags won't work. The green bags are way too small. The hay (and shedded fur) would end up everywhere on the ground (possibly on me and the furniture as well). Also, the only way it could be contained is to bunch up the fleece, which won't allow for a decent shaking. Thanks for the suggestion though.

tinutbutter

Cavy Slave
vacuum!! Invest in a hand vac or a small shop vac and it should get up all the little stuff

petgal49

Cavy Slave
You could shake it out in the garage (if you have one) and then sweep it up with a broom?

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
I'm going to have to agree with [MENTION=24840]tinutbutter[/MENTION] about the vacuum, it wold be much easier then shaking the hay off at all and would probably work just as well, as long as you pick of the bigger pieces.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Get larger trash bags and dump the bulk of it into that and then shake out what's left outside. It shouldn't be that much or too unsightly (who cares what it looks like in snow??). This has been my system for years and it works quite nicely.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Or if worst comes to worst and you really don't wanna go outside you could sweep up the worst of it, give it a shake in doors then vacuum up whatever goes on the floor...it's really cold here at the minute but I just run outside and get it over with as fast as possible! lol

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know of a good hand vac they would recommend? Preferably one that doesn't need vacuum bag replacements.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wouldn't look good on the snow? Wait until you've got four months of snow on the ground and have had to let two dogs out all winter to go to the bathroom. Now that's doesn't "look good on the snow."

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I usually shake it into a large garbage bag, and vacuum up afterwards. Sometimes I will shake outside in the snow. I have doggies that make the snow yellow anyways, so what's a little hay? :)

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
My problem with shaking the hay out on the snow is that I'm not currently living at my home. I'm living at my landlords' (they live down in the basement) and several other housemates.

During spring, summer, and fall, when the hay and poo practically blends into the background (I typically shake it over the bald patch near/under the porch), it's fine. But, during winter, not so much.

And there are stuff in the garage, so I can't really shake the hay there either. And the floor (barr the kitchen, a small hallway, and the washrooms) are all laid with carpet.

tinutbutter

Cavy Slave
shake it in the kitchen or bathroom and sweep it up? sweeping carpet can get grating

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Create a kitchen area. It is a lot easier to clean up after them if you can provide some type of separation between their living area and their dinning area. For example we have a C&C home that has a 1x2 upper deck and that is the kitchen area it has a 14" x 28" fleece that is very small and easy to shake out and keep clean. Others I have seen use a shallow plastic rectangular box to provide a separate area for their kitchen.

pinky

Cavy Slave
When it's warm, I usually pile everything into a guinea pig designated laundry basket and take it outside and shake it out. In the winter, as long as the driveway is shoveled, I take it out and shake it on the other side of the driveway. For my daily cleanups, I use a small broom to sweep up poop.

DrMarie

Cavy Slave
pop it in the dryer! all of the shavings bits will collect neatly in the lint collector.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.