Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cage arrangement

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
Due to a limit on space, I was only going to make a 2 x 3 for two girls, but then i thought this might not be large enough. So i thought of making another coroplast box with really high walls. I could cut a door in one side, and also a door in the real cage. So at times when the room is not in use, i could attach this extra box and they can run in and play like its floor time, except it will be in a cage setting so they don't have to be closely monitered.
Can anyone even picture this? If you can, would you reccomend it? There would be no proper bedding or food here, just some towels and lots of toys and space to run and play.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
the coroplast would probably be scored in a couple places and the sides would be attached by velcro, so when not in use, just collapse, fold, and store!

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
It sounds like it would work. Good luck!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
you really think so, NoVeil! I mean, there delicate little piggy feetwouldn't get hurt to run on bare coroplast?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
you really think so, NoVeil! I mean, there delicate little piggy feet wouldn't get hurt to run on bare coroplast?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
whoa, i don't know how i got double posts, sorry about that everybody!

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I thought you said that there would be towels put down in there. In any event, going on bare coroplast won't hurt their feet. It would be noisy, their little nails will click but it won't hurt them. I would put down some newspaper under the towels, myself.

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
Due to a limit on space, I was only going to make a 2 x 3 for two girls, but then i thought this might not be large enough. So i thought of making another coroplast box with really high walls. I could cut a door in one side, and also a door in the real cage. So at times when the room is not in use, i could attach this extra box and they can run in and play like its floor time, except it will be in a cage setting so they don't have to be closely monitered.
Can anyone even picture this? If you can, would you reccomend it? There would be no proper bedding or food here, just some towels and lots of toys and space to run and play.

Good idea! It sounds like you are thinking of a add on that you can hook on once in a while but won't be connected to the cage all the time. I would put newspaper down at least, I mean come on it's free!!!!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
piggylover101 said:
Good idea! It sounds like you are thinking of a add on that you can hook on once in a while but won't be connected to the cage all the time. I would put newspaper down at least, I mean come on it's free!!!!
I'll probably do newspaper, but it won't be even half as absorbant as their main cage.
I think this arrangement just may work. This way, even when I am gone at school or on vacation, they'll have almost 25 square feet to run and play in!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
how high will the wall on this have to be?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
If you're not using any grids, I guess I would make it about 12" tall so they don't get out. Just a thought. Good luck with this!

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I would probably make them at least 12 inches. I think you could get away with lower ones but this would work out well.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:

Let me know how you build it, (like how much coroplast it takes, velcro, and other things). Because I would love to make something like that too. So my piggies could have more room.

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a really great plan! I was going to suggest about 12 inch high walls too. It would be a good idea to put towles down too I would think, at least for some of the bottom because I know that Amy likes something soft to lay on :) Good luck and great Idea!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
Let me know how you build it, (like how much coroplast it takes, velcro, and other things). Because I would love to make something like that too. So my piggies could have more room.

size is what I'm working on. since the walls will have to be a part of the design, it will ahve to be a pretty big sheet

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.