Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage C&C cages for 4 girls and 2 boys - Is this okay?

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
For the 4 girls I made a 3x5 cage (they are still babies and will expand as they get older)

For the Boys - I have a 2x5 with a loft on top that is 1 x 2 Is this okay?

Also, should I keep food in the loft or on the lower level? or both?

when I put stitch in the cage I put him where the loft was first so he knew that there was a ramp there.

Labor day week I will be separating them as they will be 3 weeks old.

Should I just place pumba in his cage? Should I clean the cage first? Who would I place in there first?

Thank you! :)

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Clean the cage first, a good cleaning. You want to introduce them on neutral territory even if they were born together, so they can start fresh from there. You might want to expand the girls cage by a grid, and also the boys cage by a grid if you have the space.

CassiesCavy

Cavy Slave
If you can, I would make the girls cage into either a 2x6 or a 3x6. I would leave the 2x5 with the loft, and clean everything before reintroducing the boys. Food can be kept on what ever level (or levels) you want. It won't make a huge difference. Good luck with your piggies!

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Okay I am confused now.

The Minumum is 2x6 which is 12 sq ft

The cage I have now is 15 since it is 3x5 grids, so wouldnt that be suitable?

Thanks guys :)

And Pumba was the only boy in the bunch, but I have stitch who is in his own cage right now.

lissie

Cavy Slave
3x5 is a good size for 4. It's larger than 2x6.

Follow the link bpattes gave you.

wombats

Cavy Slave
Agreed. A 3x5 is a very big cage that is more than suitable for 4 girls. The 2x5 should be fine for Stitch and Pumba, but if they fight over the 1x2 loft (as a 1 grid wide anything might cause issues) you can just add to the length of the cage or have it come outwards (so it's like a 2x5 with one end that's 3 grids wide...if that makes sense...it'd make a nice detatched kitchen too).

Otherwise your plan is solid! They're going to love it. :)

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Agreed. A 3x5 is a very big cage that is more than suitable for 4 girls. The 2x5 should be fine for Stitch and Pumba, but if they fight over the 1x2 loft (as a 1 grid wide anything might cause issues) you can just add to the length of the cage or have it come outwards (so it's like a 2x5 with one end that's 3 grids wide...if that makes sense...it'd make a nice detatched kitchen too).

Otherwise your plan is solid! They're going to love it. :)

Thanks! Everyone was confusing me lol I was like wait its 15 sqr foot which is larger than the recommended size for 4.. So then i am solid! ill post photos later!

lissie

Cavy Slave
By the way, 3x5 C&C cage is larger than 15 sq.ft. Each grid is 14", not 12".
A 3x5 cage is about 20 sq.ft.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Just to chime in on the food on different levels: I have a loft and I prefer to have a big eating area in the main level but at least a little food bowl and water bottle in the loft. It's not 100% necessary, but it's helpful when they both want to eat at the same time and maybe want to get away from each other :)

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Just to chime in on the food on different levels: I have a loft and I prefer to have a big eating area in the main level but at least a little food bowl and water bottle in the loft. It's not 100% necessary, but it's helpful when they both want to eat at the same time and maybe want to get away from each other :)

Right now I have the water and hay in the loft and i have another container of hay on the main floor, right now he is by himself, when I put pumba in there with him I will see what their behavior is before changing anything.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I would have at least 3 eating areas for the girls and two for the boys. Have them placed at different ends too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.