Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C C&C cage specs.

Racquelle76

Cavy Slave
Hello. I am getting ready to make my first C&C cage. I ordered the storage cubes from Wal-Mart last night. They are 14"x14" each. I would like to get a start on putting together the coroplast liner, but without the storage cubes I am not certain how long and wide everything will be. If someone with experience in making these cages could let me know the inner dimensions for the liner and how many of the storage cubes i will need for the length and width, I would greatly appreciate it. Because as I have figured it I would need 4 cubes for the length (@ 14.25" - that is what the Wal-Mart specifications said about the cubes) @ 57" and 2 wide (@ 14.25" to make 28.5"). I am not good at math and my measurements could be wrong. I have 32"W x 62" L of available space for the cages (I am going to stack them). I need HELP! The babies are going to be 3 weeks old next Thursday and I HAVE to seperate the males from females. So the sooner I get things started the better off we will all be. lol

Here are instructions on How to Make a C&C Cage .

If you read them very carefully it will tell you everything you need to know. Based on the amount of space you stated you had, you could make up to a 2 grid x 5 grid cage...If you ordered enough grids. However a 2x4 will work fine too.

If you use the connectors, than your inside dimensions should be 27"x56" for a 2x4 cage. This is also in the link above. The instructions suggest having 6 inch sides, which means you need to add 12 inches to both the length and width (39"x68"). If you plan on using fleece, then you can make lower sides, if you prefer. However, I personally don't recommend going smaller than 3 inches.

i understand you want to get a head start on this, but my experience has been that once i put the grids together, it's never EXACTLY the measurements posted on the instructions. i have learned to wait until i put my grids together, THEN take the actual measurements of the cage i have in front of me. just my opinion!! good luck! you'll be tired but proud when it's all done! :cheerful:

I have 8 guinea pigs. Three males and 5 females. I am putting 3 boys in one cage and I have heard that a wider cage is a good idea for the boars, and I have room for a wider cage. However if the 2'x5' or 6' would be the best idea (mathmatically) then please let me know. Also I am splitting up my females as well. There will be 3 females in one cage and 2 in the other. Since I have never made a cage before I could use all of the advise I can get.

Sooo...should I go with a 3'x5' or a 2'x5'??? And if a 3'x5' is good how do I alter the liners dimensions? Is there a general rule about how many inches should you allow between the cubes to the liner? 1/4 inch on each side? 1/2 inch on each side??

Thanks guys for all of the helpful info. I think I will wait until my cubes get here. :)

Sooo...should I go with a 3'x5' or a 2'x5'??? And if a 3'x5' is good how do I alter the liners dimensions? Is there a general rule about how many inches should you allow between the cubes to the liner? 1/4 inch on each side? 1/2 inch on each side??

Here's my idea on what might work best for you. If you have the space available, I would make a stacked 2x6 cage. Put your boys in one level (can't remember if it's better for boys to be on top or bottom). On the other 2x6 level, put all 5 of your girls if they get along. A 2x6 is the minimum recommended size for 5 pigs. Guinea pigs are herd animals and would probably be happier together.

A full sheet of coroplast is 4'x8'. If you were to make a cage that is 3 grids wide, then you wouldn't be able to use 1 sheet per level to make your coro box if you wanted 6 inch sides. My cage is 3 grids wide and I have 3.5 inch sides all the way around because of this.

Since you have babies, make sure you read the stickies in the Baby-Proofing section of the forum. You'll need to have high sides on your cage until the babies are old enough that they can't escape or get stuck in the grids. These sides can be temporary though, by using cardboard or some other barrier to extend the sides of your cage.

Thank you guys so much for your help. This is a first for me. My piggies having babies was a HUGE surprise!! By the way, I took my babies to see the vet for the first time yesterday. They got their poops checked and everything was perfect. Everyone in the office had to come by to see the babies and now I know for sure which are boys and girls. YAY!!!

Oh and by the way, I got an email from Wal-Mart/FedEx and my cubes should be here by tomorrow!!! Another big YAY!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.