Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Buying KM Hay

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How much pounds for 1 guinea pig should I purchase?

OH YEAH!!!
Which cut should I get?

Since pigs get unlimited hay, you're not going to want to get the smallest they offer (5 lbs). 9 lbs will go far for 1 pig. Are you ordering pellets from them too? They are super nice quality. My pigs go crazy for them.

Since pigs get unlimited hay, you're not going to want to get the smallest they offer (5 lbs). 9 lbs will go far for 1 pig. Are you ordering pellets from them too? They are super nice quality. My pigs go crazy for them.

Yes. The pellets are way cheaper than the 2 10lbs bags I usually buy at PetsMart.

Not to mention getting a better hay he may want to eat more of it than he eats of his current hay.

Didn't see your second question. The cut depends on a couple of things: How old is the pig? Under 6 mths should get alfalfa. Over 6 mths ... well that depends on preference. Some people really love the bluegrass. I ordered tonight and I do believe they are out of bluegrass for the time being. Personally, I love the 3rd cut. It's very soft, smells nice and my pigs love it.

Didn't see your second question. The cut depends on a couple of things: How old is the pig? Under 6 mths should get alfalfa. Over 6 mths ... well that depends on preference. Some people really love the bluegrass. I ordered tonight and I do believe they are out of bluegrass for the time being. Personally, I love the 3rd cut. It's very soft, smells nice and my pigs love it.

He has to be over 3 years now.
Nutritionally, which cut is best?

They are the same nutritionally. The cut depends on when in the year it was cut. 1st cut was earliest, 2nd was next, etc.

Here is the rundown of the cuts: (broken link removed)

I just recently got 2nd and 3rd (my 1st order :D) I actually like the 3rd the best, it is super soft and super green. The 2nd cut is really nice 2 and a million times better than anything you will find in a pet store.

TYVM

How often should bluegrass be fed?

Hay should be given unlimited. You don't need bluegrass in addition to timothy though.

Hay should be given unlimited. You don't need bluegrass in addition to timothy though.

Thats what I was thinking about doing.
TY

You can feed any quality grass hay in unlimited amounts - they are all very similar in nutritional value. If you have pigs under six months, you may choose to feed alfalfa hay or alfalfa based pellets IN ADDITION to unlimited GRASS hay. Even if you feed alfalfa hay to young pigs, you still need to provide unlimited grass hay.

My young pigs never liked alfalfa hay, so I fed grass hay and alfalfa based pellets (from Oxbow)

You can feed any quality grass hay in unlimited amounts - they are all very similar in nutritional value. If you have pigs under six months, you may choose to feed alfalfa hay or alfalfa based pellets IN ADDITION to unlimited GRASS hay. Even if you feed alfalfa hay to young pigs, you still need to provide unlimited grass hay.

my guinea pig is not "young". He is atleast 3 years old.

They don't have bluegrass at the moment.

We got 2nd cut timothy from KM. Just opened it yesterday. Amazing the difference between it and the crappy Kaytee stuff my piggies were getting. The Kaytee stuff was more like straw! I had to ask my husband if the hay is really supposed to be all green and soft!

I buy the largest size because it is much cheaper when you break it down to per-pound price. When you buy hay in bulk, it's importnat to keep it dry, out of the sun and away from rodents, and properly ventilated. Here's some information: https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=104.

KMS is the absolute best. I kind of wish I was a guinea pig so I could sleep in their incredibly soft hay!

TYVM
the link you gave me does not work :'(

I kind of wish I was a guinea pig so I could sleep in their incredibly soft hay!
I agree with the softness!

And as for sleeping in it, I came into my Guinea Pigs room yesterday and this morning, both times I found a little Piggy in her Hay Manger made out of a grid. :D

I agree with the softness!

And as for sleeping in it, I came into my Guinea Pigs room yesterday and this morning, both times I found a little Piggy in her Hay Manger made out of a grid. :D

She says "mommy dis is WAY softer than all the other beds. Not to mention I don't haveta get up for food."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.