Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Buying food for new piggie

GSL1445

Cavy Slave
Today when we went to the pet store I saw something made by Kaytee called Timothy Blocks. They were blocks of compressed hay. I did not purchase any, instead I am here to ask if anyone knows of these and/or has used them? We did pick up regular timothy pellets and regular timothy hay, as well as bedding and a few other things for the baby pig we'll be getting this weekend. Any advice on this would be great. And...by the way we have learned so much on this site! Thanks for all your help with my questions!
Steph

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
How old is the pig you're getting? If he is under about 6 months, he needs alfalfa usually in pellets and hay form. The hay blocks are ok as long as they are only hay, and they are not a substitute for unlimited regular hay. Also, what brand of guinea pig pellets did you pick up. There are very few kinds that we recommend or endorse feeding. Most of the pellets out there have chemicals, artificial colors, animal byproducts, and carcinogenic preservatives in them.

chisky
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The most highly recommended are from Oxbow and Kleenmama's Hayloft. I have personal reasons for one over the other, but they are both about equal.

Oxbow makes an alfalfa forumla called Cavy Performance for the youngsters, pregnant, and nursing sows, and a timothy called Cavy Cuisine for everyone else. You can go directly to Oxbow's website http://www.oxbowhay.com to find local retailers that carry their products, other online sources, or order direct. They also have really good hay, treats, and an excellent vitamin C tablet.

KM is only online and can be found at http://www.kmshayloft.com. She has seperate alfalfa and timothy pellets as well. They are some of the highest quality that I have used. Her hay is top notch as well, and her bluegrass hay is commonly referred to as "piggy crack". :)

A third option is Mazuri 5664. Mazuri's website is http://www.mazuri.com. You can buy directly from them, or find local retailers. Be careful when buying the Mazuri pellets though. They have another formula that is a pellet mix with the seeds, nuts, and bits cavies shouldn't have. They are also an alfalfa pellet, but considering that after about 6 months old, pellets should be severely limited anyway, this is a good third choice.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Be careful when buying the Mazuri pellets though. They have another formula that is a pellet mix with the seeds, nuts, and bits cavies shouldn't have.

The chain pet stores only sell the Mazuri with the added bits. I get the 5664 from a local garden center. I get 25 lbs. for $13 over whatever the bag at PetSmart is for $6 or $8 (5 lbs?). It is beyond me why they make the one with the bits. Why bother? It has been so long since I bought it I don't remember the pet store price.

Piggiemum

Cavy Slave
My boys (about two months old) have regular timothy hay plus the Kaytee natural Alfalfa Cubes. They love to have a lazy nibble on them. The package says:"Contains no artificial color or preservatives." Under ingredients it lists only:"Natural sun-cured alfalfa hay."

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Where are you getting the piggie? Are you only getting one?

The hay blocks have more calories than loose hay, and they aren't a real substitute for real grass hay. Most of my pigs ignore them.

GSL1445 said:
Today when we went to the pet store I saw something made by Kaytee called Timothy Blocks. They were blocks of compressed hay. I did not purchase any, instead I am here to ask if anyone knows of these and/or has used them? We did pick up regular timothy pellets and regular timothy hay, as well as bedding and a few other things for the baby pig we'll be getting this weekend. Any advice on this would be great. And...by the way we have learned so much on this site! Thanks for all your help with my questions!
Steph

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I don't see how hay blocks have more calories. They are only the small bits that are left behind when a bale of hay is moved. They gather them up and compress them into a block. Essentially it has the exact same nutrition as loose hay but the pieces are really short. They aren't as good for the teeth or digestive tract because they are so tiny(sometimes barely above dust) instead of the long stems. The only hay blocks I sometimes feed are by oxbow because their timothy blocks are not as compressed and use much longer pieces. They also break apart easier than the kaytee blocks so you have alot more waste but what they do get has more health benefits. We're allergic to timothy so I feed it just for variety and as a treat. There aren't really any benefits to feeding kaytee hay cubes or blocks and they'd probably be better off without any.

GSL1445

Cavy Slave
The baby will be two weeks old Sunday. Initially we were going to have just the one baby, but since joining this forum and reading/researching we have decided to adopt another one (same sex) so he/she can have a friend. I understand there is a good rescue-Texas Rustlers- I think, nearby. After we have the baby settled in, we will arrange a visit to see if we can find a friend for the baby. By the way...two weeks sounds awfully young, but I have only ever raised cats, dogs, and ferrets. Is two weeks the best age to take the baby from the mother?
Stephany

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Three weeks is best if the baby is a boy. After that there is a chance that he can impregnate his mom. If it's a girl, any time after 3-4 weeks is fine, but I would leave her with Mom as long as possible to learn as much as she can from her.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Good job on thinking of adopting from Texas Rustlers! They are in the Dallas area and are overflowing right now.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The babies are not weaned at 2 weeks of age. The boys need to be removed at 3 weeks, the girl babies should stay with mom til 4 weeks but they can go at 3 weeks.

Is this a breeder or private party you're getting the pig from?

Have you read up at www.guinealynx.info?

911guy

Cavy Slave
I use both the cubes and the timothy hay. Mine seem to prefer the regular timothy hay over the cubes.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I buy the alfalfa logs and cubes and my piggies enjoy them as a treat. Something different for them to munch on.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
rabbitsncavyluv said:
Is this a breeder or private party you're getting the pig from?
I believe in another thread it was mentioned that the baby is from an accidental pregnancy of a friend's pig.

GSL1445

Cavy Slave
The baby is coming from a friend. She bought hers from Petsmart and after she had it for about 2 months she was surprised to find a baby in the cage with the mama. She had no idea it was pregnant. Apparently it came home from the pet store pregnant. They dont want the baby and were going to give it back to the pet store, so we are taking it.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ok, but you may want to tell her that 2 weeks is too young to be separated. They are born running and eating hard foods, but they need to stay with mom for another week.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I would get an older pig first and then go get the baby. Babies need adults around to learn from. Without an adult the baby will be scared and constantly hiding, won't know what is good to eat, won't know where to go in the cage to be safe, and is going to be extremely stressed out. If you had an adult I'd say weaning at 2weeks isn't bad because by 5days they eat pretty much only solid foods and can pee and poop with no help but they really do better if they can continue to learn from their mom for a longer period of time. Personally if it wasn't for male pups being able to breed their mom I'd prefer to leave them together for 8-10weeks. They learn a ton from their parents and adults but males and females do have to be seperated at 3weeks to avoid a pregnancy. Whenever we've had litters I managed to put any boy pups with their father or another male for an extra few weeks before adopting them out.

chisky
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.