Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopt vs. Buy "But I consider him a rescue!"

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
It's written for dogs, but you can easily substitute piggies and get the exact same issue.

“I consider him a rescue.” | Ruffly Speaking

by Joanna Kimball

Here's how it goes:

Person A shows up with a puppy. Person B says "Oh, such a cutie! Where'd you get him?"

Person A says "Well, I got him from a pet store, but they said he was getting so old that they were going to send him back to the broker!"

or

"I got him from somebody selling puppies online, and when I got there the conditions were so bad I had to buy him!"

or

"I called a breeder about puppies in the Want Ads, and she said that she had a puppy she was going to put down because he was sick!"

or

"When I got there, I knew I shouldn't buy him, but I bonded instantly with him and I had to take him!"

and they always, ALWAYS end with

"So I consider him a rescue."

Well, I consider my hand to be a pumpkin pie, but so far reality has not responded to my wishes.

That was NOT a rescue. That was a PURCHASE. And it is a purchase that rewarded, usually amply, the person selling the puppy.

My next favorite part is when person B says something like the following:

"Well, it doesn't matter where dogs come from, as long as they find love!"

or

"I am sure you couldn't have left him behind!"

or

"I am so glad that you gave him this wonderful happy ending!"

or

"I can't believe nobody bought him before you! Good for you for buying him!"

Two words:

BULL

PUCKY.

Do you REALLY think it doesn't matter where dogs come from, as long as they get carried off into the sunrise, surrounded by butterflies and the sound of an autoharp? Seriously?

Do you think it does that person a BIT of good to have their PURCHASE given your stamp of approval?

Because here's who DOESN'T go off into the sunrise:

- All the other dogs in that pet store, which can continue in business another day because YOU just paid their rent and salaries and covered the pittance they paid for that puppy.

- The next corgi puppy or Lab puppy or Shepherd puppy who gets ordered from Hunte Corp. because YOU showed them there's a market for this breed, so we'd better get two next time.

- The other dogs in that breeder's home, who will now be bred again because wow, she just covered six months of electric bill in a single day thanks to YOUR check, so she WILL breed those dogs again.

- The mother dog in the puppy mill somewhere in the Midwest, who will be bred again because Hunt corp got a ton of orders for corgis or Labs or Shepherds or Poodles this month.

- The other dogs in your puppy's litter, who were sold to who knows what people with zero screening or any qualifications other than a credit card.

There is a sacred rule upon which our entire society is built: The end does not justify the means.

It is a GOOD thing that the puppy is going to have a good life. That does not justify the tens or hundreds or thousands of BAD things that had to occur to get him to that point.

Your dog is a rescue if he came from a rescue. A rescue is an organization desperately trying to put itself out of business.

Your dog is NOT a rescue if he came from a pet store. A pet store is a place trying to STAY in business.

Your dog is NOT a rescue if he came from a breeder. And that includes a good one; my puppies are not "adopted" or "rescued" or anything of the kind. I SELL puppies. The difference is that a good breeder doesn't view anything she does as a business, and if she did she'd be the worst businessperson on the planet. She sells puppies based on the accomplishments of their parents and she loses money. A bad breeder is trying to make breeding their business, selling puppies based on the value of cuteness and maximizing profits however is possible. But even when you buy from the best breeder on earth, YOU ARE NOT RESCUING.

And STOP mouthing those hideous platitudes about how it doesn't matter where a dog comes from as long as it's loved. You do no one any favors when you justify giving hundreds or thousands of dollars to a machine that grinds up dogs and spits them out dead.

When you buy from a pet store or puppy mill or bad breeder, you create pain ten times the size of the good you've done. When you encourage that purchase, you're scratching the chin of a business that can only be called evil.

STOP IT.

if you did something wrong, if you made a mistake, even if you knew it was wrong and said heck with it, I'm doing it anyway, OWN IT. Say "I did something really stupid, something I hope you don't ever do, something I hope nobody ever does."

If somebody comes to you chirruping about a puppy, say "He's gorgeous, but you can never, never do that again and here's why." Will it offend people? Absolutely. Will they think you're mean and uncharitable and go away saying "I don't regret a single thing I did! I'd do it again!" For sure.

But the thing is, they WON'T do it again. The next time they stop in front of a pet store window, they'll hear your voice and they'll feel just a little bit ashamed, and they will NOT go back in. They may attribute the wiggle in their gut as a desire for Cinnabon that's greater than their desire to see a Beagle puppy, but the result is the same. A puppy does not get purchased.

And if enough are not purchased, that pet store will go out of business. Don't think it can happen? It does all the time. When I was a kid, everybody got every pet from a pet store, and there were little mom and pop pet stores in every town. Now, I can think of only four or five within two hours of me. Those are staying in business because they have the tiny designer dogs of the moment; I haven't seen a big dog in a pet store in New England in years. IT'S WORKING.

And if enough pet stores go out of business, Hunte will go out of business. And when that happens, thousands of puppy mills will simply shutter their doors. There will be a massive increase in dog auctions for six months and then they'll blessedly go away. And THAT is the true end we want.

Don't settle for anything else.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
I love this post... so much.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
This post is a bunch of bull. I joined this site hoping to learn more about guinea pigs, but honestly, the prejudice is disgusting. I worked for an animal rescue for years, and with the shelter. I am all for rescuing animals.

That being said, anybody who can sit back and allow any animal to live in horrible conditions, or die from lack of care is wrong. You may think you're doing the right thing, by not supporting a breeder but is allowing an animal to suffer the right thing? I don't think so. I rescued almost all of my animals. However, I was in a pet store one day, checking on their conditions as part of a job assignment. I came across a pitbull puppy who obviously had intestinal parasites and ringworm. The man checking her out, was going to use her to fight. So, according to you, I should've allowed that man to take her, and fight her, and give her a far worse life than any animal should have to suffer, simply because she had the misfortune of ending up being born to a breeder who didn't care? That's so hypocritical I can't even begin to comprehend it. If an animal is in a bad situation, I don't care where they are if I can help I'm going to. To sit back and watch an animal suffer is ridiculous and cruel. It's not the animals fault, and to say that these poor animals living in horrible conditions because of a breeder or petshop don't matter is just simply something I will not ever do.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Wow, I love this! There's a girl on Instagram that no matter how many times people tell her, she refuses to believe that it's bad to buy animals from pet stores, or that store-bought cages aren't good for them. She's gotten multiple guinea pigs from a pet store, all of whom had a URI and she either had to take them back or they died. I really wish I could show her this post.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I don't disagree with this post, but I just wanted to add that Shelters/Rescues/Fosters etc. in most cases charge money, sometimes even absurd amounts. A lot of animals in Rescues come from pet stores, breeders, etc. Rescues take in abandoned animals that came from a pet store and put them out in the world again; with the above logic, they should just leave them on the streets. Not everyone that adopts from a Rescue will be a forever home, either. I know my opinion isn't a popular one, but you should recognize the hypocrisy in the above post.

Do you think that every animal in a Rescue came from natural reproduction? They take in many animals that come from intentional or accidental breeding, mills, etc. It is a cycle. A Rescue doesn't look at a Guinea Pig and say "oh, I think this little guy is from a pet store, let's not re-home him." They say "I'm so glad someone brought him in, they said their owner was starving it! Thank God he got here in time." So, tell me, how exactly are rescues so different from some people that buy from pet stores or breeders? They both think they are saving lives, but are they?

Rescues do a lot of good by spaying, neutering and giving vet care to animals in need, but in the scheme of things, are they really saving lives? Are they really uninvolved in the mass production of animals?

Why are kill shelters so looked down upon, even in this community? Because a lot of us don't care if death for animals now will improve life for other animals in the future, we simply want to save animals, no matter how many there are. Selfish? Yes. Evil, immoral? Debatable.

I think a lot of us want to save animals, even if selfishly, because not all of us are born in the best condition either. We are born poor, or with terrible abusive families, we sometimes have nothing, some born with mental or physical disabilities, and we cast these things onto animals that remind us of ourselves and we think, maybe I can save this animal, like no one saved me, and we do not think of the consequences, but is this really wrong? Who knows.

Anyway, hopefully I don't get flamed for my opinion...:confused:

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ugh I wish there was a way I could share this on Facebook, Tumblr and every other social network site I'm a part of. This literally sums up everything we ever talk about on this forum and I'd just like to say that you did a FANTASTIC way of doing so.

Bravo.

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
I claim no credit- I just reposted it from the link attached. :) Just share it from the link, it needs to go far and wide!!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
@Amalee , rescues mop up the pain and agony caused by pet stores, mills, breeders, and the people who support them.

A critical difference here is that rescues (as mentioned above) would be thrilled to not exist. Pet mills, pet vendors, and breeders would not be thrilled. They will do anything, ANYTHING, to stay in business, including abusing animals, lying to their clients, and apparently helping people delude themselves into thinking they are the same thing as a rescue.

Some rescues charge more than others. A lot of that goes to trying to properly care for and seek medical treatment for the animals that are ill-bred, abused, and kicked to the curb by pet vendors and ignorant owners. Ask anyone on here involved in rescue whether they have EVER made a profit ... oh, that's right, a legit rescue isn't in business, isn't making money. Its operating model is the antithesis of a "business" -- it doesn't want to have to provide the services it does.

Rescues and shelters aren't adding to the problem. Shut down the mills and pet vendors, and rescues would go out of business. Shut down the rescues, and you get more unwanted pets and slaughtered animals.

Not all of us on this forum think that, at this point in time, we can eliminate kill shelters. But it would serve all of us -- the animals above all -- much better to stop equating a rescue with an animal vendor. It's ludicrous.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Here is an example to further my above point:
-A woman enters a Pet Store, buys a guinea pig and gives it to her son.
-The woman's son becomes bored with the guinea pig.
-The woman takes the guinea pig to a shelter.
-The guinea pig is re-homed with a 20$ adoption fee to cover vet costs.
-The woman buys a cat from the previous Pet Store.

If that pet store didn't exist, she would of gone to a breeder.

I love animal rescues, I think what they do is amazing; but I simply refuse to deny that they have nothing to do with the mass production of animals. Breeders are always going to exist, their numbers would rise if puppy mills got shut down. Rescues will NEVER seize to exist, one of the bigger problems is that people do not de-sex their animals. A lot of people that buy from pet stores and breeders think they are mopping up pain and agony as well, so I wonder how are they so different.

-Keep in mind I am NOT comparing a pet store to a rescue, I'm comparing someone that buys from a pet store to person(s) that run a rescue-

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=27133]Amalee[/MENTION]- shelters are pretty cheap (local ones, piggies are $10, I adopted my puppy from the local kill shelter for $25) but yes, some rescues can be pricey. BUT- they absolutely must cover their expenses somehow. Donations just don't make it. One sick animal can wipe out dozens of donations. Their animals have to eat, too.

Plus, this isn't about rescues. This is about petshops. If this article makes ONE PERSON not buy a petshop animal, it's done it's job. If it can stop the impulse buy (Mommy, I WANT IT!) or the poorly though out purchase, AWESOME.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
@Amalee - shelters are pretty cheap (local ones, piggies are $10, I adopted my puppy from the local kill shelter for $25) but yes, some rescues can be pricey. BUT- they absolutely must cover their expenses somehow. Donations just don't make it. One sick animal can wipe out dozens of donations. Their animals have to eat, too.

Plus, this isn't about rescues. This is about petshops. If this article makes ONE PERSON not buy a petshop animal, it's done it's job. If it can stop the impulse buy (Mommy, I WANT IT!) or the poorly though out purchase, AWESOME.
That would be awesome, but since this is a forum I was curious if anyone shared my opinion in some way. I can completely understand adoptions being expensive. My local shelter's adoption fee for even a small dog is 120$ It prevents people that can't afford to take care of the animal from buying on a whim as well.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Here is an example to further my above point:
-A woman enters a Pet Store, buys a guinea pig and gives it to her son.
-The woman's son becomes bored with the guinea pig.
-The woman takes the guinea pig to a shelter.
-The guinea pig is re-homed with a 20$ adoption fee to cover vet costs.
-The woman buys a cat from the previous Pet Store.

If that pet store didn't exist, she would of gone to a breeder.

I love animal rescues, I think what they do is amazing; but I simply refuse to deny that they have nothing to do with the mass production of animals. Breeders are always going to exist, their numbers would rise if puppy mills got shut down. Rescues will NEVER seize to exist, one of the bigger problems is that people do not de-sex their animals. A lot of people that buy from pet stores and breeders think they are mopping up pain and agony as well, so I wonder how are they so different.

To clarify one thing for me, from the dog column: I don't believe there are "good" breeders when it comes to small animal companions. So in my belief system, the objective is to get pet vendors of any type -- stores or breeders -- to stop selling live animals, while those animals are over-populated. Which is clearly the case for guinea pigs.

I agree completely with your statement that people should de-sex their animals.

Perhaps you are missing the point here, because you do not believe that it is possible to do some real damage to people who sell overpopulated animals such as pigs: yes, you shut down the mills, there will be as the original column said, a huge auction of the animals in those mills. But then it stops. Punto, fin, full stop. Then the only places to get these animals are shelters and rescues. No. More. Stores.

As to whether there is a difference between the people who are rescuers mopping up agony, and the people purchasing from a pet store: people delude themselves into all kinds of things, with the fantasy that what they are doing is some how equivalent to the moral/right thing. There are people who believe that everything is subjective, and nothing is right or wrong. I don't try to engage these people because it's rather like putting my head through a plate-glass window. But for folks with a concept of right or wrong, they will tamp down their guilt over what they are doing through the precise justification process outlined in the above column.

Is there pain and agony for the animals in the store? Yes, and sadly the animals there have to pay for our sins. But we can stop the cycle if we spend our money elsewhere.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=19254]Wildcavy[/MENTION], I'm not missing the point. I'd love to think that uneducated people (those that previously spent money at pet stores) would change their mind after reading the above. However, for someone like me that's been educated on the topic for awhile now, it just brings up more questions for me. I think an even better point to be made is that a lot of Rescues de-sex their animals, give them vet care even if they don't make a profit, honest about illnesses their animals have, etc. Telling people that buy from pet stores that they are evil doesn't exactly say much. A lot of people are selfish and compassionate, at the same time. It doesn't make sense to scold them for this. My point is that if I can dilute a topic to the point where a Rescue volunteer is similar to someone buying from a Pet Store, then a long-time Pet Store buyer could easily do so as well. The focus needs to be shifted, from morality to reality.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
@Wildcavy , I'm not missing the point. I'd love to think that uneducated people (those that previously spent money at pet stores) would change their mind after reading the above. However, for someone like me that's been educated on the topic for awhile now, it just brings up more questions for me. I think an even better point to be made is that a lot of Rescues de-sex their animals, give them vet care even if they don't make a profit, honest about illnesses their animals have, etc. Telling people that buy from pet stores that they are evil doesn't exactly say much. A lot of people are selfish and compassionate, at the same time. It doesn't make sense to scold them for this. My point is that if I can dilute a topic to the point where a Rescue volunteer is similar to someone buying from a Pet Store, then a long-time Pet Store buyer could easily do so as well. The focus needs to be shifted, from morality to reality.

I agree with you that it isn't useful to just say "What? You bought from a pet store? You're evil / did an evil thing!" My reaction, if I were the sort to buy from a pet vendor, would be [unprintable]. So yes, I agree.

But that is the opposite of what the person writing the column is doing. That person is trying to lay out the differences between rescue and purchase.

I also agree that there is a tension in everyone, with a mixture of selfishness and compassion. Where I disagree is whether it is useful to chastise them about it: yes, it is. Chastisement, pointing out what is incorrect, and above all suggesting a solution is the only way that we learn from each other, progress as humans, and survive (thrive?) in a hostile world. Doesn't mean the recipient of my suggestion / chastisement will be persuaded, but I'm not going to say "You are wrong" and then not explain why, AND what the better path is. That person can choose whether to accept it (unlike the animals who have no choice in the matter).

All of us, given enough time, can dilute any argument to the point of turning A into B, black into white. Politicians around the world rely on their talent for this, and for the mass public to buy it. Doesn't make it right. If everything I did was only a reflection of reality, instead of what was right, my children would be sold into slavery and I would be in prison right now.

The fact that I am far from perfect does not excuse inaction on my part. We cannot sacrifice the good for the perfect.

Nessy

Cavy Slave
The thing is though, with regards to 'no such thing as a good breeder' there are small hobby breeders who produce just a few litters from a select few animals each year, and after the animal has bred perhaps twice that's it. They are retired and kept as pets. All the animals are well cared for in spacious environments, all medical care attended to, all animals fussed over and loved, because hobby breeders do so with love for their animals and make a loss in terms of money.
It is a far cry from breeding mills, which in my mind should not exist.

Now I do understand very much that there are too many pigs and not enough loving homes, therefore a promotion of rescuing is therefore completely understandable, but in slating even the best small scale breeders what are you achieving?
If there was NO breeding at all there would be no pigs within 7-8 years, 10 if a tiny baby now lived to be 10.
Therefore there HAS to be breeding from somewhere.
A small proportion will be pure accidents from mis-sexing or males somehow finding their way into females cages.
That still wouldn't leave enough pigs or a large pig gene pool so what would happen? - Pet owners would start to turn into small scale hobby breeders!

I realise very much that while there are too many pigs in the world waiting for adoption surely the best scenario, in an ideal world, would be for ALL breeding mills to shut down and all breeding was left to the genuinely small scale, genuinely caring hobby breeders - the ones who really know what they are doing and love their animals (they are out there...). There would be less guinea pigs, they would all come from sources where you can actually go and see the conditions that the parent pigs are kept in, you would all know their genetic history, they would be more likely to be healthy.

I know this is an anti-breeding forum, and I understand the reasons so I am not trying to cause trouble, but I cannot get some people's utter vitriol towards hobby breeders, except perhaps the feeling that ALL breeding should cease until ALL pigs are rescued, which just cannot happen unfortunately. If someone could explain this to me then I promise to shut up on the matter because I genuinely do not get the distain for genuine caring hobby breeders, other than the fact that breeding is dangerous for the pigs (but they have to continue the species some-how, dangerous or not), and the fact that the forum concensus is to rescue as many pigs as possible (therefore do not purchase from any breeder - like I say I understand that sentiment and agree that it's a good one).

Thank you - I will not bring this up again - I just want to understand x

p.s. I also understand that the thread is about petmill petstore pet abuse, but still, the feeling towards hobby breeders appears similar.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
But that is the opposite of what the person writing the column is doing. That person is trying to lay out the differences between rescue and purchase.
What I read in OP's quote/post:
Condescending people for calling their animal a rescue
Saying that praising people that "rescue" animals is "Bull Pucky"
Talking to someone like they're stupid
Talk about how pet stores are bad
Evil
Talk about pet stores shutting down

Nowhere in that post do I see anything about how Rescues are amazing and superior to pet stores. Nothing about the pros and cons of going to a Rescue, or letting the reader decide anything for themselves.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Nowhere in that post do I see anything about how Rescues are amazing and superior to pet stores. Nothing about the pros and cons of going to a Rescue, or letting the reader decide anything for themselves.

Actually, I see your point on that, that it wasn't that transparent for folks not familiar with the rescue vs. store / breeder.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Actually, I see your point on that, that it wasn't that transparent for folks not familiar with the rescue vs. store / breeder.

Yes, that is my point. Us, we know why Rescues are amazing and why pet stores NEED to go out of business, but to someone that is currently shopping at one, we need to approach them with education and acceptance, not judgement or brainwashing. If someone does not know that what they are doing is bad, how are they going to receive the above post? However, that is just my opinion.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, that is my point. Us, we know why Rescues are amazing and why pet stores NEED to go out of business, but to someone that is currently shopping at one, we need to approach them with education and acceptance, not judgement or brainwashing. If someone does not know that what they are doing is bad, how are they going to receive the above post? However, that is just my opinion.

Approach them with education, yes, acceptance, no. I will never accept the action. And we all judge each other, as you judge the writer of the column. And "brainwashing" is not the same as persuasion and rational thinking. If pet vendors of all stripes were so sure of what they were doing, they would let us all go see their "producers" / pet mills / breeder sources, and wouldn't be afraid to be filmed. Dirty, dirty secrets. Bringing these secrets to light and holding people accountable for their roles in it, is not brainwashing.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Approach them with education, yes, acceptance, no. I will never accept the action. And we all judge each other, as you judge the writer of the column. And "brainwashing" is not the same as persuasion and rational thinking. If pet vendors of all stripes were so sure of what they were doing, they would let us all go see their "producers" / pet mills / breeder sources, and wouldn't be afraid to be filmed. Dirty, dirty secrets. Bringing these secrets to light and holding people accountable for their roles in it, is not brainwashing.

By acceptance I meant accept that they have made a mistake or did not research enough, etc. No one is perfect and most of the well-educated people on this forum started somewhere. However, the post IS brainwashing; repeating the same thing over and over with no real purpose. The above post isn't really exposing any secrets. Nothing about animals being killed on spot because of abnormalities, animals being shipped away to be tested on, animals being killed by even Pet Store employees because they won't sell, or even how many animals in a row were thrown out before your breed had the perfect color fur. Telling people they aren't actually rescuing an animal if they buy it from a breeder or seller is a waste of breath, but telling people why they should consider going to a Rescue could be the better option for them and the brutal truth of animal mass production isn't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.