Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Burrowing tip...

pigsfrompluto

Cavy Slave
I'm sure all of you know how frustrating burrowers are. Mine are so bad that I nearly had a brake down one night. I swear. It just makes for unnecessary mess, and makes everyone upset.
I've tried all the tips and tricks. Tucking the fleece behind, binder clipping it it, etc. But the truth is, mine are so determined, they don't let this stop them. They will literally sit, and tug, and chew, and gnaw, and pull until the fleece becomes undone to the point where they can get under.
I binder clipped each square of each cube one night. That took forever, and it still didn't work. It's not like their cage doesn't have enough hideys. I guess its just..natural instinct.
But anyway tonight, it was really bugging me. So i had a thought. After thinking an estimating, I came up with the idea to sandwich the fleece.
Just make sure that the main area f burring isnt on the corner, (though if it were you could just improvise.) and then sandwich the fleece behind another grid.

What I mean is do your normal setup, and then place a grid inside the cage, zip-tie it to the other grid, making sure the fleece is in between them. If done correctly, then the fleece should be so snug that it can't really be pulled out. At least, they haven't done so yet.

Just a side note, make sure when you zip-tie it, make it really tight so they can't try to get behind it and get stuck

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oh man do you have some determined little buggers, huh ? I feel your frustration !
It would help if you gave a " bullet points list" of what you have tried and has failed, and then it would be easier to ( and less repetitive) for us to come up with ideas that you haven't tried yet. I like your above idea on the grid fleece sandwich but i wonder, wouldn't it be really hard to take down for cleaning in the wash ? If not, that sounds like a great idea !

pigsfrompluto

Cavy Slave
Heh...I haven't come to that yet.
I was thinking this morning, and I mean if we all really wanted to get extensive we could all set up some sort of system that would make this easier. But I think that soon, I'll be getting new fleece, and as long as the fleece walls are high enough, they really don't go at it. But man. It. Is. Frustrating.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Some piggies just like soft, tight dark places to sleep. Have you considered buying or making them fabric tunnels or given them tunnel tents to burrow in instead of the cage fleece?

pigsfrompluto

Cavy Slave
Yeah. When I first got my sewing machine, all their tunnels and tents were my projects. They aren't the best..but what do they care?

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
I made Theo and Alvin a little cuddle corner by hanging a rectangle of fleece in one corner of the cage. It hangs like a tent, I just tie it to one of the sides. I also will just toss in some scraps of fleece that they like to cuddle down in to. And they love to burrow into their hay.

So I try to give them several ways that they CAN burrow.

I also don't use Coro. I use linoleum to protect my floor. So since my cage doesn't have a bottom in it I just set it down on the edges of my fleece. There is really no way they can get under the fleece.

pigsfrompluto

Cavy Slave
I have also done away with coroplast. And I had considered just doing that. They wouldn't be able to burrow if they couldn't get the fleece up. But the only problem is, we have two dogs. And while my door is mainly closed, I don't want to risk anything. I wish though.
I've read about dog and cat proofing..how would I go about that?

itzmeigh

Cavy Slave
Well I have a dog and a cat and there is no way my dog could lift my cage. I guess she MIGHT could if she just was REALLY REALLY determined but she isn't so I'm not worried.

My cage is built from closet shelves so I guess it is a little heavier and more sturdy then a cube cage. I also have a top that just adds more weight.

Here is my cage right now... (You can also almost see the little cuddle corner there to the left The green bit. Nothing in my cage is sewn. I can and do sew but I just never made an effort with my piggy stuff. Everything is just cut cause I'm really that lazy!

DSCF0483.jpg

Here is my cage when I first put it together. You can better see the top.
DSCF0145.jpg

(Theo kept getting under the shelf which was my plan, only he is getting big enough where it was just too hard to pull him back out. So I took out the shelf and now I'm going to rework a new second story at some point.)

pigsfrompluto

Cavy Slave
Hmm...I really like the way that looks. It's so..clean and cut looking. I might need to look into this.
I mean, it won't be that hard to construct a lid, if I used all my leftover cubes. This might become next weekend's project...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.