Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

burny the hamster!

lol... pinky! I was sitting in the living room watching tv with my family when I saw something running across the rug. I screamed bloody murder thinking it was a mouse! Quickly I figured out that it was Doc and was able to just go over and scoop him up! Little guy is certainly an escape artist! A months ago I went in to feed him and couldn't find him. I searched all over his cage and he wasn't there... looked in my closet, thinking I would never find him, and he was curled up behind a box cozy as he could be. lol Hammies are so much fun!

That's so funny! When I still lived at home, my sister had a mouse. He could squeeze between the bars of his cage to escape. The only place he'd go was in his food bag. He chewed a hole in it, would eat as much as he wanted and would squeeze back into his cage when he was done. We wouldn't have believed it if we hadn't caught him in the act doing it.

We have 5 here the are..

Rocky,
burny the hamster!

Cheeks

burny the hamster!

Chester

burny the hamster!

Poppy at VET (She ok)

burny the hamster!

Remi

burny the hamster!

Last edited:
Such cute pictures everyone! I had a black bear hammie name Tobi (after an anime character), who died last January. She was so pretty, but she'd only let me touch her after she'd been giving a treat, but at least she had stopped sounding like some kind of demon rodent. I'd never heard an other hamster make a noise like she used to.

I also used to have gerbils(and still have one), and I prefer them to hamsters. Hikari(golden) and Kuri(nutmeg) have since passed, now all I have is Yuki(dark-eyed white). They were all skiddish at first, and Hikari was the first one to go but she was the one who started letting me pick her up first.

All in all, I think guinea pigs are the most high-maintenance pets I've had (Though my box turtles were pretty high-maintenance too) but I wouldn't trade Sherlock and Holmes for anything. If I'm upset about something or having a bad day, I can go and tend to them and talk to them. Before I know it, I'm smiling. I love my piggies, and I can't wait to start some bell pepper and lettuce for them, but I have to wait until sometime next month.

All in all, I think guinea pigs are the most high-maintenance pets

I don't think they are high maintenance at all we have 2 and it takes like 10 mins a day to clean their cage...Hamsters are longer...Takes my bf 2 and a half hours to clean them up..and he does it everyday if possible...maybe if you have alot of piggies I could agree. How many do you have?

I just have two boys, Sherlock and Holmes. It takes me longer to clean their 2x4 c&c cage than my gerbil's 10 gal tank, which kinda makes since due to the size difference. I'm not complaining, and I'm considering options to make it quicker and easier to clean their cage (I use aspen for all three of my little critters.) and might cut a "cleaning flap" in the coroplast. I think my real problem is that I "run out of steam" quickly, but still do what needs to be done.

I'm glad that my cats pretty much ignore the guinea pigs. Though, I have to supervise my dog around the cage because she'll try and snap at them when they come to the edges to sniff at her. Needless to say she is band from the room during floor time, even with supervision.

Rodentsrus, your hamsters are adorable! I seriously want one like your Chester! Is he a syrian? Unfortunately they aren't too common around here so they never show up in shelters and I don't plan on purchasing one. :sad: Hopefully one day I'll find one!

Yes hi he is a syrian..they are all rescue our hamsters.He is still very young and still jumpy abit as his previous did not handle him much...but he is a good little guy :)

every one has so adorable hamsters :)

We just adopted another one today..My b/f just couldn;t say no to this ad.

On craiglist: hello I give a male dwarf hamster without cage not sociable, Bits all the time can be used for reptile food don't mind just tell me;)
thank you

It was posted Dec31, 2011 I just couldn't believe it..We called know most likely it wouldn't be gone.. BUT WE GoT HIm...YES>> We have named him Mr. Chews but if we find he doesn't bit that much we will change his name

aww thats so sad they don't care if they used the hamster for food :(.. i would do the same if i were you :) also show us a picture of him :)....

Trust me I going to sent pics but I jsut want him to get settle in fisrt.

took burny back to school today :(... I'm going to miss him. he is the most sweetest pet ever :)...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.