Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Bunny leg help ASAP!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Oh god,

So today I was in cavy chat and my cat came inside holding a dead bunny (The one has a medical issue which is why we keep him outside, long story)

The bunny is alive, but is limping, I put him in a spare pet store cage with lettuce, hay, and such, what do I do?!?!?!?!

I'm shaking as I read this, I feel so bad, he looks so sweet yet is bleeding some what and limping some what, I can't think stright I need help, what do I do? Take him to the vet? But they don't deal with wild animals do they? I've got some baytril, and vet wrap, should I use that to provent infection and hope he heals?

Need some help please and thanks so very much!

Wow I'm so scared for this little baby, sorry for my spelling and all the mistakes above, I hope you get the gist of it.

id take the bunny to the vet for a check up

Again, as I said I don't think vets take wild animals

I would take it to a vet. Most vets will help either way even if they don't normally treat wild animals. They can at least give it some pain meds, or humanely euthanize it if need be.

He looks really well at the moment, he's jumping up to the second level of the cage and looking for an exit very well, I'm calling the emergency vet to see what they say.

Poor baby bunny!! I'm with @ellisa on this one, try to take it to a vet - or call the vets near by and see if they have any recommendations??

Try the vet. My exotic vet will let you walk in and will see wild animals for free and take it off your hands and nurse it back to health :( I hope he is okay!

I would try to find a wildlife center near you. They should be able to take the bunny in and treat him, if the injury is treatable. I think I read somewhere on here that cat saliva can cause a really bad infection that can kill the rabbit. So it is best to find a Wildlife Rehab Center.

take him to an emergancy vet say hes a pet but he bites

Google wildlife rehabs in your area. That is the best bet for a wild bunny. If your cat had it there is a chance that it has internal injuries as well as the leg injury. It needs to see a vet ASAP.

Per the vets instructions, I gave the bunny some Baytril, to counter act the infection if he was bitten, she said the best bet would be to keep him here and treat him with the sound of things, and the fact that the nearest vet that will take him is more than an hour away and not very good from what I've seen, I'm not sure what probiotic to give him, or if any. Or what to do with the wound at the moment. Right now he is in a store bought cage I have on hand for taking the pigs to the vet, he's on carefresh with a huge pile of timothy hay to hid it, a few pieces of green leaf lettuce, and a water bottle. He also has some nasty pellets, because I couldn't figure out how to detach the bowl of them without freaking him out. I also put a blanket over the cage. He seems to be very scared, however is still slightly moving and reacting.

First of all, is this a wild bunny or a loose pet?

If it's wild, in many places you are not even allowed to keep it. It's best to find a wildlife rehab place right away. I am surprised that the vet didn't direct you to one in your area.

It seems like a wild bunny to me. The wildlife rehab place near me is at least an hour away, and is known for their bad care, so I was told to give it Baytril for the bite, clean out the wound, and put it in a cage until it is well enough to go back to the wild. I've looked up tons of info on bunnies just a little while ago, and I'm scared that this may be a baby. It hasn't eaten any hay, and also has a white mark on it's forehead which I looked up, and read that if they have that they are still a baby. So from there I looked up how to care for a baby wild bunny.

I'm setting up a fake sorta nesting box to put it in, and also have someone out buying kitten milk, which I will add a bit of cream to, and some acidopholis.

Sound like I'm doing everything right so far? I will take it to the wildlife rehab place if needed, however again, the place is semi know around here for not being very great, and is also at least an hours drive away from here.

Unfortunately, if it's a baby, then it will most likely not survive. Cat wounds seem to be fatal to baby bunnies.

If you intend to care for it yourself, you'll need to do some research. Rabbits only feed their babies a couple of times a day.

Yes sadly I heard about that. :( Though I don't intend to give up on him, as he seems to be doing ok at the moment. I also read up on feeding babies, and I intend to clean his wound and feed him twice a day if that seems good, should I wrap the wound with something? Also, how much should I bottle feed him, I read online how much should be feed for how old they are, but I don't know that, he has his eyes open though.

Great example of why our pet cats should always be indoor cats.

In regards to his care at this point, I agree with FC. If the rabbit has been bitten by a cat, it will most likely die. If it's separated from its mother too early, it will most likely die. If he's injured, he's in pain, and the most humane thing you can probably do for him is have him euthanized at a wildlife center. It's not a matter of giving up on him, it's a matter of recognizing the situation for what it is and making the most humane choice for an animal that is very likely suffering, and very likely to suffer greatly prior to dying if he's in the shape you're describing. If he's actually in better shape (ie, not bitten by a cat) then it's cruel to keep a wild rabbit as a pet. You'll end up frustrated and he'll end up unhappy.

I volunteer at a Wildlife Rehab Center and unfortunately many of the patients end up there because people think they are doing a good thing by trying to help them ie: giving inappropriate formulas, stressing them out, etc. Most of these animals don't make it especially baby bunnies whom seem to be prone to heart attacks. And yes in most places it is illegal to keep a wild animal. Last year we had a bunch of oppossum's come in that were being "rehabbed" all lost most of their tails and some were put to sleep due to poor nutrition and deformities. Please think twice about treating the bunny your self.

I agree with what the others have said. In addition to that if you are unsure of the age of the bunny you could be stressing it out even more so by trying to force feed it. Generally rabbits are weaned around 6 weeks, if it is older than 4 weeks I wouldn't even bother because of the stress it could cause a wild bunny. Even domesticated rabbits rarely make it when hand raised.

@Paula Before I read the rest of your post, just thought I would comment on the first line. xD I totally don't agree at all with people keeping any pets outside, however my one cat has an issue with going to the bathroom inside the house, even with litter boxes and such, therefore there is no choice but to let them outside. We have tried every now and again to keep them inside, and in fact are trying it again right now, and will see how it goes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.