Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Bunny advice!!! :)

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi! I have a 4 year old (turning 5 soon) bunny, but she still acts like a baby! I will give you some background on her.

My Mom's friend's bunny had babies, and my Mom took one of them as a classroom pet. She thought it would be good, since she works with special ed kids. However, Fenway was kept in a very tiny cage, wasn't getting the right nutrition, and was stressed out, and got poked and prodded at. The kids didn't know any better, though. My family took her home every weekend and during school break, and we bought food, hay, toys, etc. This was before I had guinea pigs and heard about C&C cages.

Finally, the classroom let us keep her forever. Me and my brother were THRILLED. We did all we could to make her her happy. Played with her, got her a slightly larger cage, etc. Then, when we moved my brother was older and started not caring about anything. Fenway was in his room, and he never let her out, cleaned her toilet, pet her, or even feed her or give her water. I was the one who would do it every day. Then, I moved Fenway into my room, where she is fed the right food, given 12 hours or more out of cage time daily, given fresh water, and is pet, groomed, and loved.

Oh, and BTW, the classroom named her Fenway because they were Red Sox fans and they thought the bunny was a boy when they first got her. When they found out she was a girl they kept the name. I usually call her 'Fen' or 'Fenny Wenny', lol.

But, I feel bad that Fen has to stay in a small cage at night. I figured I would buy this C&C cage, http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-cage-large#.UfWOeo2TiSo
Because that is all I have room for.

I would also make the walls 2 grids high, so Fenway can't hop out when I don't want her to. I would make it so I could remove one grid for easy access during floor time.

Also, my Bun hates fleece, she will dig at it and chew it and ruin it. SO, I was thinking to have the cage be CareFresh, but have a couple areas with blankets that she could move if she wanted to.

Are these good ideas? Any other things I could do to make my bunny's environment more interesting?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Since you say she is active. You could add a level to hop on, most active bunnies love that not all rabbits like fleece, so maybe just use large blankets for her to dig in over the fleece? I'd do at least 3 or 4 grids high since rabbits need to be able to stand up and not touch there ears on the top of the cage. I have the same size cage but I have 4 grids up 4 different levels. And my bunnies love It.

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
hi! I'm not going to close the cage top, so I think 2 grids high will be good. Since I have one bunny, I was thinking of making a little bunk-bed type thing, because she has one now and loves it. She will chew on the fleece, so I think just using carefresh will be good. Thanks. [MENTION=27898]Rabbit_Lover[/MENTION]

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
She will jump out if you do not have a lid. 2 grids is nothing for a young healthy rabbit.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
My buns can easily clean a 3 grid high. 2 grids is nothing for a rabbit.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
She needs a level or something to jump on (rabbits really need to use their muscles) so she will easily escape if you don't have a lid. I know my bigger bun could clear 2 grids from the floor easily, and my smaller 7 year old one could clear it when on the smaller loft! Rabbits are talented escape artists!
She probably loves the fleece, rabbits are natural diggers, so you could give her old blankets to dig on on top of the fleece (as long as she's not eating it) because carefresh will get pretty expensive!

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ok, I think I will make it 2-3 grids high with a lid... and a little bunk bed she can jump on. She has one now,and she likes it. But I will try the blanket and fleece idea. She ruined some of my fleece because she chewed and dug in it. I buy CareFresh all the rime for her toilet, the guinea pig's upstairs, and the hamster, so I don't think the CareFresh will will be a problem, but i dont know. [MENTION=19358]Inle_Rabbit[/MENTION] [MENTION=27898]Rabbit_Lover[/MENTION] [MENTION=27349]GoldieBrodiexx[/MENTION]

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I wouldn't use bedding at all except in the litter boxes if she is 100% trained. Leaving some blankets of fleece for her to dig and lay on would be great and give her something to do while she is in the cage.

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ok I will try it, thanks for the advice! [MENTION=19358]Inle_Rabbit[/MENTION]