Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Bulging eyes in new piggy..

Honour

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig whom I got yesterday I noticed she had slightly bugling eyes, not anything dramatic but I noticed it. It didn't occur to me until today when I looked at her, and I remembered this was a sign of a URI. I panicked and automatically put her back into her cage to ask this, she doesn't stay still so I can't get a picture yet. She came with her sister and she is fine and Tiffany has no other questionable symptoms except for the fact the squeals a lot, when you pick her up, when her sister leaves her side, when I pick up her sister and even when I leave the room. If she's left alone she doesn't complain, but she obviously needs floor time so I have to lift her sometimes. She's an abyssinian just incase their eyes happen to be different.. she is also very light but she is very tiny and only about 2-3 months old but she eats a lot and is drinking normally. I'm worried about her:( advice please?

I don't recall bulging eyes being a sign of an upper respiratory infection. It can be an indicator of glaucoma, but that's not real common in young pigs.

It's more likely that she's one of those pigs with more prominent eyes. Pigs even coming from the same litter can have different characteristics. Some pigs just have wider, more pronounced or bulging eyes and seem to always look startled!

In case you feel she has URI symptoms besides the eyes, weigh daily to make sure she's eating as usual.

I agree with Foggycreekcavy. When I rescued my Frosty from a rescue his eyes are more prominent then most piggies, and it always looks like he has the "dun dun dun face". But he still eats and drinks poops and pees just like any normal piggy. Regardless when in doubt go in for a vet checkup.

Pictures would help if you can post some.

The soonest I can post pictures is tomorrow morning, nothing to take picture with atm.. I worry a lot about all of them because I'm new to owning guinea pigs and always think I'm doing something wrong haha, might take them to the vet to be sure. I then realize I'm worrying over nothing when I find out the reason behind them doing things.

My piggie has bulgy eyes and no health problems at all--it's just how she's built. It's more noticeable when she's scared, but it's there all the time. Try not to worry until you can get her checked out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.