Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Bulbous stomach

socks

Cavy Slave
I have two piggies and they share a food dish, and both eat about the same amount. Mosby might eat a little more, but not noticeably more. They both get the same amount of activity and are both the same breed of guinea pig.

But the difference between Mosby and Barney is if you feel Mosby's stomach, it feels bulbous. But not squishy, a solid bulge. I was wondering if it's just cause he's chunkin' up or if it's anything more serious?

Do you weigh your pigs weekly? You can tell a lot about a guinea pigs health based on their weight.

If you don't have a kitchen scale, I suggest getting one and recording their weekly weight for a month. This will help give you (and us) a better idea of what's going on with your piggies.

Ah no, I don't. But I work at a pet store and I went today and placed them both on the register scales. Mosby weighs .86lbs and Barney weighs .83lbs

Where can I get a kitchen scale? My local Meijer/ WalMart?

I got a great one at Wal Mart for $10. It is not digital though. I think the digital ones were like $15.

Ah no, I don't. But I work at a pet store and I went today and placed them both on the register scales. Mosby weighs .86lbs and Barney weighs .83lbs

erm...... i would say he might be prago.. how long have you had them?

erm...... i would say he might be prago.. how long have you had them?

I'm afraid of this. I've had him for about a month, but I knew and held him before he was officially mine, and that was for about a month as well. So I don't THINK he's pregnant, but it's just an underlying fear.

Have you sexed him to make sure he is male?

I'm afraid of this. I've had him for about a month, but I knew and held him before he was officially mine, and that was for about a month as well. So I don't THINK he's pregnant, but it's just an underlying fear.

Have you sexed him to make sure he is male?

I've checked, I've had a co-worker who previously owned a guinea pig check, and my sister has checked. But I haven't had any reason to take him into the vet because he's as healthy as can be [from what I can see, I know they disguise illness] so I haven't had a "professional" look at him to determine.

yeah I don't want to scare you or anything... but when I got my pig Riley she didn't look prago at all.. I wasn't even expecting it because my other was a girl but one day I picked her up and her tummy wasn't squish.. like it should have been... it was hard. I held her every day after that until i started to feel kicking and then i just let her be.

The hard tummy is the only reason why id think he would be.. but like Kim said watch his weight and take them to a vet if you can.

You can find a scale at any home store in your area like Walmart, Target, BB&B, etc...

Digital ones work best because they are more accurate and also make sure you get one that weighs in grams, since it is a smaller measurement you can more closely monitor variations.

Since you work at a pet store you should have access to a vet. Who takes care of the stores animals when they are sick?

A cavy savvy vet will be able to properly sex your guinea pig that way you know for sure if you have male or female. The sooner you find out, the better. If you have a pregnant momma on your hands you need to start providing for her extra nutritional needs.

Last edited:
I just re-checked and when I pressed his little ween came out, so he's definitely a boy piggie. Gave my mom a scare when I asked her to hold him so I could quadruple check he was a boy.:D

lol good!!

then it might be something you need to see a vet about.

lol good!!

then it might be something you need to see a vet about.

My mom said that I was just holding him in a way that made his muscles / diaphragm contract so it felt harder than it was. Because she was holding him and it felt normal. Thank the stars.

Even better! I'm happy he's all good, though, and he was not a she. Babies are all cute and cuddle until you have to either keep them or find them good responsible homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you have visual confirmation that your piggy has a penis. You have seen it for yourself when your coworker and sister checked?

I've checked, I've had a co-worker who previously owned a guinea pig check, and my sister has checked. But I haven't had any reason to take him into the vet because he's as healthy as can be [from what I can see, I know they disguise illness] so I haven't had a "professional" look at him to determine.

So, you have visual confirmation that your piggy has a penis. You have seen it for yourself when your coworker and sister checked?

If you look above I mentioned that I just did a check myself and saw for my own eyes like 10 minutes ago. :)

Ok. Sorry. I had not read all the comments.

If you look above I mentioned that I just did a check myself and saw for my own eyes like 10 minutes ago. :)

Did he just eat? I notice my guinea pigs have a harder stomach after they have eaten.

@socks

Back to the topic of scales. Have you heard of Tare? Tare is a feature within most scales that allow you to set something on the scale, press a button, and zero it back out to zero. SO, you can get your favorite shoe box or something, set it on the scale, press the Tare button, and then add your Piggy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.