Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Building Tunnel System to Attach to Walls!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking that with my piggies two bedrooms and a permanent outdoor pen, they just don't have enough room! :p So, I'm working on constructing a tunnel system that attaches to the wall in my bedroom. The reason I want it on the wall is that I have a dog and three cats that sleep with me every night, and also because there isn't enough floor space available. Anyway, the tunnels are made of two cubes bent at 90 degree angles and attached with cable ties. At each corner of the room, there will be a small "rest" area that will probably be an L-shape made of three square cubes, if that makes sense. There will be hay, pellets, water, and cozies in these rooms, while the rest is all tunnels for exploring.

My question is this: how can I attach all this stuff to the walls without destroying them or making the cage unstable? I think lots of cup hooks will be plenty for the tunnels, but it's the "rest" areas that concern me. I intent to test everything with bricks that equal the weight of all of my piggies together to be absolutely positive it is structurally sound. I think nails would work well, but I also would like the cage to be removable? Can I fill in the nail-holes later?

By the way, the cage will be divided into sections connected with velcro cable wraps so I can take it apart to clean it. It will be lined with coroplast, mattress pads, and fleece. So is this idea too crazy to work? Any suggestions?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking that with my piggies two bedrooms and a permanent outdoor pen, they just don't have enough room! :p

Your joking? Soon the whole house will be your guinea pigs cage and you will be sleeping on top of the cage along with your dog and 3 cats!

Are the tunnels going to be up in the air or on the ground?

I think it will work, afterall as the saying goes where there is a will there is a way. It needs alot of careful planning and I imagine it will take some time, yet the outcome will be amazing.

Good Luck!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
The tunnels will be in the air surrounding my room so I can have them with me at night sometimes, or when I'm studying. Since the second bedroom will hopefully be occupied by a new roommate sooner or later, I'll probably have to give it up eventually, but for now, it's just for the piggies!

I have a tendency to get carried away with things... a lot. When I first moved out, I decorated my entire two bedroom condo wall-to-wall with a theme for every room. It took me almost a year. My bedroom was all silver with a handmade canopy out of silver fabric, I made silver pillow cases, hung silver stars on the ceiling... My bathroom was "underwater" and the walls were covered in blue streamers, I made fish with gems on them to cover the mirrors, everything was blue... The living room was a "jungle" that I covered in camo nets and filled in with hundreds of fake plants, stuffed tigers, fake birds, I sewed camo covers for the pillows... The entry way was all black and white with my darkroom photography... The kitchen was a "butterfly garden" with vines attached across the whole ceiling, with interwoven flowers and fake butterflies... Every room had a color theme with matching lights... There's more, but it would take forever to explain! It was amazing! I just like making things, everything is an art project to me. If I organize my refrigerator, I try to make everything aesthetically pleasing, balanced by colored and height. Did I mention I have OCD?

Anyway, this new project is going to be great... I've already got a ton of ideas! I can't wait! lol

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Wow, your condo sounds like Disneyland!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
OK, whole new plan. First I made a bunch of the little tunnels, and I started thinking how hard they would be to clean and get the piggies out of. So, I decided to make a cage around the perimeter of my room using mesh grids so nothing could fall out the sides, extending the cage only one grid from the wall and nailed in the corners, while held by cup hooks in between. Once I got halfway through this contraption, I had an even more brilliant idea... I'm going to buy those white wire shelving units meant for closets, and have them cut to the exact length of the wall, then use two at a 90-degree angle and nail them to the wall! Then I'll make one on the other side of the room, and use the tunnels to connect them! If you have no idea what I'm saying, don't worry, it will be cool- promise! I think this will be a really good solution for people that claim they don't have room for a big cage. Who doesn't have wall space? It's going to be so awesome, and I'll be able to have the piggies in my bedroom finally! I'll post pictures as soon as it's done. (I have way more important things I should be doing, but oh well!) :p

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I get what you are doing. As you said, this could be great for people with no floor space! Is this new "contraption" going to join to the main cage?

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I'm just going to put this in my bedroom for now, I've always wanted the piggies in there but there is no room (it's only 10' x 10' and I have a big bed), and I have cats and a dog. The cage is going to be high enough that the pets can't reach it, and I'll probably make a cover to be extra safe. I'm so excited! I'll buy the stuff tomorrow and post pictures when it's done.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I have some ideas.. (yeah, I have OCD too) lol

Maybe buy some shelves to line the room (where you want the pigs to be able to run) kinda like this.. but only one, and wider-

http://www.issdesigns.com/images/Galleries/Shelving/Wall Shelving 4in Shelves.JPG

Also, with my 'runway' I made everyother section open.. Its easy to get the pigs out, and to clean. Just make sure you make it low enough to the ground (only halfway up or so).

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the ideas, but I've already got the plan figured out and just bought the supplies! I am using white wire closet shelving with a rack support system to make a 9' long, 20" wide cage connected directly to the wall above my bed! I expect to finish by tomorrow, and I'll post pictures of the finished product!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Awesome, I cant wait to see it finished. :D

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
It sounds wonderful, although I don't really understand properly what you mean but I'm sure it will be awesome. Can't wait to see the pics. Would also love to see pics of your themed rooms. You must be very creative.

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
Creative is an understatement for envisionary!

I can't wait to see pics of this...so exciting! Now I feel like my piggies aren't spoiled at all, hehe. They'll love it!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Well, I've got one wall up, but I've realized it's going to take a lot more time than I thought to finish! I've decided to do a U-shaped wraparound cage, with one small lower level that comes right next to my pillow on my bed! That will be the snuggle room. And the cage will pass across my window, so they will have a view! I'm just using closet shelving and racks, they are so sturdy, I really think this is a great way to do a cage. I'm making a cage that must be at least the equivalent of a 2x8, without using any floor space! It's crazy!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any suggestions on what tools I could use to cut the shelves myself? I had them cut in the store, but now I realize I need to make some alterations and add holes for the tunnel system. They are extremely strong, my regular wire cutters that cut normal grids with no trouble can barely even scratch these things! I would hate to have to keep hauling them back to the store for every trim, considering they are 9 feet long and my car is very small! They used these huge cutting shears at the store, and the guy also mentioned a hack saw. Eek! Are those my only options?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Yeah, those are pretty much the only things I can thing of that would work.. If you plan on doing it yourself, I recommend the shears.. harder to accidently chop off a limb.

Morningstar

Cavy Slave
WOW! This sounds amazing! I am looking forward to pictures.

ginniemama

Cavy Slave
I cut some grids/shelving and I used a very small hack saw but it really was not a hack saw. It was smaller and easier to use then I used wire cutters and was able to cut the shelcing/grids very easily. The trick is don't try to shave it down all in one place. use the saw just about 5 times (5 swipes) then turn what ever it is that you are cutting to a different angle and do it anothe 5 times or so etc. then use the wire cutters and clamp down and rotate. then they will just nap apart. Does any of this make sense?

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Yes, that makes sense, thank you! I'm going to Lowe's to pick up more shelving since my project has gotten bigger and bigger than I planned (as usual), so I'll look to see what they have in the way of small hack saws and sturdy wire cutters. I'm hoping I don't have to use those huge shears or saws, I'm not good with things like that! In fact, while carrying the shelving into the house I managed to get two wounds, and one bled quite a bit! It's times like these when I wish I had a boyfriend or a husband around to help me out a little... ;) My mom is in town and she is worse than I am with that stuff, but maybe together we'll figure it out somehow!

ginniemama

Cavy Slave
i know what you mean. Since my hubby passed away I have had to try to figure out how to do all kinds of things! If I lived closer I would come help but there are a few states between us!! Good luck and the project sounds awsome! You are making my mind wander in all kinds of different directions! I have no one here anymore to stop me with my crazy creative ideas! Hmmmm Light bulb is powering on in my head as we type.......... Good luck!

CavyHubby

Cavy Slave
Yes, that makes sense, thank you! I'm going to Lowe's to pick up more shelving since my project has gotten bigger and bigger than I planned (as usual), so I'll look to see what they have in the way of small hack saws and sturdy wire cutters. I'm hoping I don't have to use those huge shears or saws, I'm not good with things like that! In fact, while carrying the shelving into the house I managed to get two wounds, and one bled quite a bit! It's times like these when I wish I had a boyfriend or a husband around to help me out a little... ;) My mom is in town and she is worse than I am with that stuff, but maybe together we'll figure it out somehow!

The only tool that will cut those without using a power tools would be felco c-7 wire cutters. They are a bit pricey, but they are the best. They should also have a good re-sale value as well....maybe check e-bay?

Safe Journies
Samuel

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.