Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Building My First Cage

OzRocks

Cavy Slave
I am exited to report that I am building a HUGE new cage for my new piggy Oz. I spent all day jaunting around town to get all the supplies. Plus I got some new toys for my boy. Anyway I had to go to four different targets before I finally found the grids. It was a pain but I am glad I have them. Than I went to a sign store to get the coroplast. They had my favorite color yellow! I bought a lot of it, just in case I mess up. There was so much of it we had to cut it in half at the store so it would fit in the car. It still would not fit! So we tied it to the top of the car. We drove off and all seemed well. Then all of a sudden people were honking. So I turned around to see my bright yellow coroplast hanging on the side of the car. So we had to pull over to fix the problem. We did not have any extra string, so we tied the back of it and I held my hands through the sun roof to hold on to the front. It was such a hassle. But we finally made it home safely. So here I am working on the cage. I promise I will post some pictures when I am done!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Good luck building you new cage!

OzRocks

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I am having the hardest time with the coroplast. I think I messed up all of it:sad: I did a good job on the grates though.

pattysue46

Cavy Slave
Yes, what are you using for the bottom of the cage?

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
Wow... great adventure to tell your beloved pigs how mommy got their homes built during lap time. Thats great! Hope that you share many pictures of your hard work.

BTW do you have a dollar store near you? I find all kinds of supplies from the $1 stores like litter pans, carpet remnants or throw rugs.

OzRocks

Cavy Slave
I am using coroplast for the bottom. I added a second story loft but it needs support. I have no idea how I can do that without taking up much space. man I really dislike the coroplast. Hopefully I can get it to work. I really need to get my boy out of that horrible cage he came with. Its to dang small!

Hoshishi

Cavy Slave
We used a wooden strap to support the top floor. It lies on top of the grids for the bottom floor and the second floor rests on top of this. My husband attached some hooks on either side of the wood to secure it to the bottom grids. Hope this makes sense and helps. Let me know if a picture would be of any use.

OzRocks

Cavy Slave
actually a pic would be great. are there any alternatives to the coroplast. I am really tired of it. and I am going to have nightmares about it lol. My friend suggested wood but I know that guinea pigs chew wood.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
Wood will also soak up urine unless you put a water barrier between it, like vinyl tile (sticky tile) or plastic of some sort.

Hoshishi

Cavy Slave
I've use lino/vinyl in my cage and don't have any complaints.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
That's what I meant. You can use wood as long as you use something over it. Lino seems to be popular with most people, but I had a whole box of extra sticky tile, so i used those,LOL.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
actually a pic would be great. are there any alternatives to the coroplast. I am really tired of it. and I am going to have nightmares about it lol. My friend suggested wood but I know that guinea pigs chew wood.

Don't give up on the coroplast! Remember that it doesn't have to be perfect. I have pieces of coroplast duct taped together on my cage! It is all worth it in the end! :crazy:

Hoshishi

Cavy Slave
Hi OzRocks,
Only just noticed your comment about pictures.
Here they are:
100_1908.jpg

100_1910.jpg

How are you getting on?

OzRocks

Cavy Slave
oh wow that really cool. I ordered a coroplast bottom from C & C cages. I am going to just start a fist level for now. than eventually add the loft. I can not wait to show pictures of my fist cage.

OzRocks

Cavy Slave
Well I have some good news,

The boys are in their new cage and they could not be happier with all the extra space! They were popcorning and running all around. It was so cute. When I find my camera I would love to share pictures!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.