Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Building my first cage :) need help

Amber Lopez

Cavy Slave
I want to build my cage I just got my guinea pig 2 days ago and bought a starter cage. But after reading about all cages I feel bad about mine. I don't want to spend much more because this cage I have was a lot. This is my first guinea pig. Where can I find the stuff I need to build one. Where can I find the grids and what are they called because I've searched for them and can't seem to find them. :)

Mellie

Cavy Slave
I found my grids at bed bath and beyond for $20. Also Walmart has a set for about the same price. Bed bath and beyond they are called wire grid modular shelving and storage cubes. At walmart I believe they are called whitmor wire storage cubes. Just make sure the openings are small enough your piggy can't get stuck. No bigger than 1.5 inches I think is the standard rule. And coroplast is just corrugated plastic sheets u can buy from a local sign shop or I have heard Home Depot carries it as well. U may also need zip-ties. I know I did.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
I know people have said they have gotten their grids from Target, walmart, bed bath and beyond, K Mart and Costco, stores like that should have it. Coroplast is usually found at home depot. sometimes sign stores will sell it too but i dont know if it would be cheaper or more expensive from a sign store. I got my cage from the cage store here.

It doesnt have to be made of the cubes and coroplast. Alternative Cages - Guinea Pig Cage Photos this is a link to alternative cages, maybe it will spark some ideas and could be cheaper for you.

Amber Lopez

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much :)

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
how big is your cage now? I just have one guinea pig at the moment. I had the store bought cage. I ended up buying the midwest guinea pig habitat. I found mine on ebay brand new with free shipping for $32 I hooked it up to my pet cage. you can always extended it as well. I had fleece and a uhaul blanket and I use that for now to line the bottom of the cage. I need a sheet of coroplast. But it is really easy for me to keep it clean and it is cost effective.

Amber Lopez

Cavy Slave
how big is your cage now? I just have one guinea pig at the moment. I had the store bought cage. I ended up buying the midwest guinea pig habitat. I found mine on ebay brand new with free shipping for $32 I hooked it up to my pet cage. you can always extended it as well. I had fleece and a uhaul blanket and I use that for now to line the bottom of the cage. I need a sheet of coroplast. But it is really easy for me to keep it clean and it is cost effective.

Im not sure how big it is. It's the all living things starter. I think I will build it. It might end up cheaper than the Midwest . I just payed 63 for the starter kit 2 days ago so I'm trying to save as much as possible. I have paper bedding right now but will switch to fleece soon. Thanks though :)

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
Im not sure how big it is. It's the all living things starter. I think I will build it. It might end up cheaper than the Midwest . I just payed 63 for the starter kit 2 days ago so I'm trying to save as much as possible. I have paper bedding right now but will switch to fleece soon. Thanks though :)
Can you return the Starter kit?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
you could keep the starter kit as a transportation cage, or sell it away?

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
If you get the stuff for your new c&c you could use the pet store cage as a kitchen area or as a transport cage?

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Another idea is to attach a guineapig/rabbit run to your pet store cage, line the bottom with towels and fleece, and then you will have enough room. You could also line it with a cheap shower curtain.

Amber Lopez

Cavy Slave
I found my grids at bed bath and beyond for $20. Also Walmart has a set for about the same price. Bed bath and beyond they are called wire grid modular shelving and storage cubes. At walmart I believe they are called whitmor wire storage cubes. Just make sure the openings are small enough your piggy can't get stuck. No bigger than 1.5 inches I think is the standard rule. And coroplast is just corrugated plastic sheets u can buy from a local sign shop or I have heard Home Depot carries it as well. U may also need zip-ties. I know I did.

If I buy the grids from bed bath and beyond, how many sets would I need. I only have one guinea pig. And to make the cage all I need is grid , coroplast and zip ties ? I already have fleece

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
Well a 2x3 cage needs only 10 grids. you dont need grids on the bottom here is the link to building a C&C cage How to Make a C&C Cage if you are planning a second pig in the future for company id make it at least a 2x4 so you would need 12 grids i have a 2x5 so its 14 grids. i think you get a lot of grids in the bed, bath and beyond set. you should only need the one box.

Mellie

Cavy Slave
Bed bath and beyond comes with plenty of grids (i had lots extra) but only 20 connectors which is enough to make a 2x3 cage so yes you will need zip ties if you plan on making it bigger. but these ties also come in handy for hanging water bottles and hay racks and such other things.. This is my cage that I just built. It is a 2x3. Cage

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Well to the Guinea Pig life! I would do TONS of searching no this site, its great!! Also, if you go into BBB to get the grids, search google for a coupon! I went into our local store, but its so small they didnt carry the grids. =( So I went and talked to the manager, and I ended up getting my grids shipped to my house for a total of $16! Good luck to you, and remember, if you dont know, search and ask! ~B

Amber Lopez

Cavy Slave
Well to the Guinea Pig life! I would do TONS of searching no this site, its great!! Also, if you go into BBB to get the grids, search google for a coupon! I went into our local store, but its so small they didnt carry the grids. =( So I went and talked to the manager, and I ended up getting my grids shipped to my house for a total of $16! Good luck to you, and remember, if you dont know, search and ask! ~B

Yes I signed up for emails and got a 20% I paid 17 :) my coroplast wasn't big enough so it only goes a little over 4" all around the sides of the cage

Attachments

image.jpg

Amber Lopez

Cavy Slave

I did a 2x3 also

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use the bottom of my store bought cage as my kitchen area. though small it contains hay well.

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Bed bath and beyond comes with plenty of grids (i had lots extra) but only 20 connectors which is enough to make a 2x3 cage so yes you will need zip ties if you plan on making it bigger. but these ties also come in handy for hanging water bottles and hay racks and such other things.. This is my cage that I just built. It is a 2x3. View attachment 46776
BE CAREFULL i just bought a pack of grids from bed bath and beyond and my nine week old pigg can fit all the way through the bars she terrified me:eek:hmy::eek:
PLEASE BABY PROOF YOUR CAGE CAREFULLY

couchon

Cavy Slave
Nice job with the cage!

Just a few suggestions :) If I were you, I would get rid of hte ramp/upper level, because the ramp/grid are taking up the usable area. Generally, it's recommended you don't put int he ramp unless your cages is larger. If you want to build on to it, consider expanding on the same level!

Also, this is kind of random, but I think I see your pellets have colored bits. These are really bad for them. They need plain pellets, most pet store pellets are bad for their health - the ones that are good are Oxbow and Kleenmama (Kleenmama's is online).

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.