Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Building my first C & C cage and need help please!

joylam

Cavy Slave
Hello, I wanted to get started building my first C & C cage, but need some help. I'm thinking about building a 2 x 4 with a 2 x 2 second level. Does anyone know approximately how many cubes that will take? Also does anyone know of any place these can be purchased besides what is suggested on this site. I don't have any of those stores close to me. Do you know if Office Max, Office Depot, or Walmart carries them? Also what is the approximate cost of them?

Also if I can't find the Coroplast and use Linoleum, what is the best way to keep the piggies from chewing on it?

One last question....right now my piggie flips is pigloo over and uses it as a litter box, so I was thinking of going and buying him a litter box. If I use fleece for bedding, what do you suggest putting inside the litter box?

Fanch

Cavy Slave
The cage you are planing will take 20 cubes. I know that most Walmarts carry them, Target as well. I've also heard that Costco, Staples carry them. I think that any office store would have them, just try any place you can think of. I bought a 6 cube unit(20cubes) for $15 US at Target. I think that a box of 20 is usually around $15-20 US. For what to put in the litter box, I use kin-dried pine, but any of the shavings listed on the site are great.

KPIGGY

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome.
I can only give a suggestion on the litter tray as I am in the UK.
You can save money buy making a litter tray with the correx you have left.
I use cat litter in mine which is recycled paper (NOT the grit)

joylam

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for your suggestions, I'm going to run out at lunch and see what I can find! Thank you again.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
In the US, Target (Pack of 23 $15 or $12 on sale) and Costco (pack of 30ish) carry them. Most Walmarts or Staples don't carry them, but Walmart has them online (pack of 17). You can find regular grids at Bed, Bath and Beyond, and mesh grids at Linens N' Things. (Pack of 17 - $25 or $12 on clearance)

As for litter trays, I really like this one.

Look in your phone book under "signs" for places that will have coroplast.

Sunshyne

Cavy Slave
joylam said:
If I use fleece for bedding, what do you suggest putting inside the litter box?
I use Carefresh or similar products if I am low on cash. If you are lucky he will pee in it. My boys use their box to pee in but poo everywhere else. However it helps keep the cage less stinky, and I clean it out everyday or two.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
The cage will take 24-25 grids, not 20. Some Walmarts carry them. You can go to Walmart and buy a cat litter box which is $2-$3. I use Carefresh in my litter box. You can also use aspen, kiln-dried pine and things like. DO NOT use Cedar.

cutepiggy

Cavy Slave
I had to order my grids on line from Walmart, no one had them around here.
Not Walmart, Kmart, or Staples.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
joylam said:
Hello, I wanted to get started building my first C & C cage, but need some help. I'm thinking about building a 2 x 4 with a 2 x 2 second level. Does anyone know approximately how many cubes that will take? Also does anyone know of any place these can be purchased besides what is suggested on this site. I don't have any of those stores close to me. Do you know if Office Max, Office Depot, or Walmart carries them? Also what is the approximate cost of them?

Also if I can't find the Coroplast and use Linoleum, what is the best way to keep the piggies from chewing on it?

One last question....right now my piggie flips is pigloo over and uses it as a litter box, so I was thinking of going and buying him a litter box. If I use fleece for bedding, what do you suggest putting inside the litter box?

Joylam... I see that you are not to far over the IL/WI border. I happen to live just 30mins south of the IL/WI border and should you need help finding materials close to you just PM me. I can help you find the things and if you can't get it in your area let me know maybe I can get it for you down here and we can meet half way. I am actually going to be at a Pet Expo in Burlington, WI on April 8th. If you are still looking for things then let me know maybe you can meet me up there.

just a thought that i would share in helping you build your cage.

kittn

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.