Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Building my cage

catinhat72

Cavy Slave
I'm new here to the forum but have been looking over the site for a few days now and really love it! I have one male piggy a little over a year old and working on building a new cage for him. Plan to build it big enough to get him a friend. I have an old closet organizer and think there is enough grating in it to build the cage itself. My husband, the resourceful man he is, brought home 2 large boxes made of coroplast last night from work. He can get more if I need it. Problem being that even though they are good sized boxes there is not a large enough area to do the whole bottom of the cage. What would be the best way to put 2 pieces together? Would just taping them work? Any ways to bond the pieces together? I can't wait to get it made and get a buddy for my piggy. Right now he's living in a tiny store cage. I knew it wasn't big enough but had no clue that it was really that much too small. Thanks so much for this site!
Brenda

__ben

Cavy Slave
I used staples but they did fall apart ounce so I'm not sure.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I think some good tape would work perfectly. It would also be safe because it would be covered with the bedding. Tapes fine.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Yes, tape works fine. Don't overlap the pieces but just butt them up against each other and then tape the seam. The joint was a bit floppy but once I cut and folded up the sides, the box was secure. I used strapping tape for the join. It's been 5 months and it is still like new. I cover with newspaper and bedding so it stays nice. I clean once per week with 50/50 vinegar/water.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

catinhat72

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I was hoping that would work but hated to get it all together and have it fall apart. I think I will have to go buy some more shelving to make it as big as I want but thankfully I have large enough peices of coroplast that I will only need one seam in the middle. My plans are to make a 24" x 60" cage with a 24" x 12" loft. It's a little less than the prefered size for 2 piggies but still well over the required. Now I have to convince my husband to build a table for it as I don't have anything that size. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done.
Brenda

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

catinhat72

Cavy Slave
Well it's finished. I can't beleive how much room they have! Curly our current piggy and Moe our new piggy were introduced in their new cage without any incident. This cage is pretty much big enough for 3 piggies so maybe someday I can convince hubby to add another one. They don't seem to really like the ramp. Neither one will go up and if I put them up there only my older one will come down. I put all their food up there but afraid they won't figure it out and go hungry. Do you think they will find their way up there before they starve? Please check out my gallery, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of it. https://guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=412
Thanks so much!
Brenda

Last edited:

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Mine were much more eager to go down than to go up their stairs at first. I moved food and water up to the second level to encourage them to use the stairs. I also put treats on the stairs to get them up them. No one starved in the process :)

Anytime I had them out for floor time or cuddling, when they went back in, I put them on the second level. While she was still learning, I also put the hidey pigloo on the top level so she would go back up.

With Cinnamon, I worked with her a few times a day. I started putting her on the stairs with a treat and each time, put her up a stair. Within 24 hours of having her food up there, she was whipping and up and down with no problems.

I just introduced Spice into the cage and she must have learned by watching Cinnamon because she will go up and down with no hesitation at all.

Both girls race up and down the stairs at full speed and I have never seen them crash and burn yet.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
You did a great job! Congrats. I'll probably use your photos to highlight the shelving approach instead of grids at some point. Congrats!

GuineaTV

Cavy Slave
ramp

Awesome cage!! About the ramp - it might be too slippery/uncomfortable for your pigs, so try using carpet or a towel on it - might make a difference.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.