Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Building a new cage

pinky

Cavy Slave
Looks very neat. Can you upload some photos of the inside showing how you attached the metal mesh?

Hi brupoppigs!
I don't usually post much, but was intrigued by your thread. When I first got guinea pigs 10+ years ago, we built a C&C cage. It was nice for a while, but like your husband said, it started to look junky. We have four cats, so we needed a more sturdy, nicer looking way to keep them out of the cage. We built a HUGE cage- we had 3 pigs at the time- kind of like the one I have now and it worked very well and looked nicer than C&C. After our pigs passed and I went to college, we didn't have pigs for a while- but this March, I adopted two babies from a local shelter. I didn't have as much room in my room, so we made this smaller version (sizewise equal to a 2x5) for the girls and they love it! Just thought I would share, I spent hours and hours trying to figure out a nice design, and these have worked wonderfully. The cats lay on top and I know that the pigs are safe! Hope you like them- I'm looking forward to seeing you post your final product! (oh and instead of chicken wire, we used this metal mesh that is both thicker and more sturdy than chicken wire, and the pigs don't bother it)

View attachment 14285 View attachment 14286 View attachment 14287

callixtus

Cavy Slave
Hi Lissie,
i absolutely love the first cage! what was it that you used instead of the normal cubes recommended?

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Hi Lissie,
i absolutely love the first cage! what was it that you used instead of the normal cubes recommended?

Hi Callixtus,

The first cage is not mine. I found it in the gallery. If you click on the picture, there are more details about the cage.
I believe they've used wood for the whole cage and the front is glass. The cage is lined with brown coroplast.

Here's my cage. The cage is built with kiln-dried pine and lined with vinyl floor. The front is plexiglass.

P73232004.jpg

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
Wow Lissie, you have such a beautiful and clean cage area. My husband and I were debating the pros and cons of plexiglass, how high are your glass sides? Whenever I see cages like this, the plexiglass looks much shorter than a C&C grid- and we aren't sure what height would be appropriate.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
My plexiglass is 9".

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
lissie, how long does the plexiglass last before it starts to scratch from little nails? Or does it hold up pretty good. I know the few things I have with plexiglass have scratched up.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
My cage was built last year and I've move once after the cage was built. I've noticed some scratches on the plexiglass. The scratch marks were quite long so I guess they're probably from the move and not from the pigs.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
You know...I never realized that after a time, that there inevitably ( plexiglas is I think, a mix of plastic and glass, right ?) would be-- smudges, scratches and that foggy-like appearance to it. For I have been considering re-doing their cage using wood materials and such, ( for months now) and even went to home depot one day to price plexiglas, but never thought of how it might look after a while. I suppose there are different "grades" of plexiglas, some being more scratch-resistant than others, but it sure gives one "food for thought" when building something with plexiglas in mind. I surmise, it would be anything, but cheap !

P.S. By the way...Lissie...I LOVE your cage !! Your are SO VERY blessed to have such a large room dedicated to your piggies !! WOW.

Last edited:

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
( plexiglas is I think, a mix of plastic and glass, right ?)

P.S. By the way...Lissie...I LOVE your cage !! Your are SO VERY blessed to have such a large room dedicated to your piggies !! WOW.

Thank you :) The top pic that shows the stacked cage was actually in a 700 sq.ft apartment. I wrote about it on this thread.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/cafe/56677-making-space.html

When we moved to a 3 bedroom townhome, I removed the legs and changed to the L-shape cage in the bottom pic. Our space is not big. Probably 1200 sq.ft. The space the cage is in is part of the kitchen that's also our home office.

Each cage is 8 feet by 28 inches.