Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Building a new cage.

MissMuffet

Cavy Slave
:eek: I found this site after looking at Guinea Pigs on u-tube and noticing that Guinea Pigs are being kept indoors and in some wonderful looking cages with open tops. It is very different to how we kept Piggies as kids and how I've been keeping mine. In hindsight I now see my cage is too small for my two little Piggies and nowhere near the standard of some I have seen. I have bought them some tunnels and a hammock that they absolutly love and made some little polar fleece rugs that I throw in their covered bed area and have noticed that they realy like these too. I have semi trained them to use a litter box in the corner of their cage (makes cleaning easier) and clean the cage daily instead of just twice a week. I have been looking for some coroflute for the bottom of the new cage I am building but have not been able to get any. Many sign places say they have it and they sell it but only if its printed with something, they wont just sell me a sheet plain and unprinted. I am doing a lot too improve the lives of my little Piggies (Barbie and Janis by the way) but would appreciate any help finding the esential items I need. I have found the grids in Bunnings in Balcatta and am going to go to the reject shop in Girawheen to find more as I need heaps to build the two level 5x2 cage with a stand. If anyone has any ideas particualy for the Balcatta area I would be very grateful and so would my Guinea pigs. I've only seen them popcorn a few times so I'm hoping with the new cage they will do it more often and let me know they are truly happy piggies.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
That's weird that they won't sell it unless it is printed with something! All the sign places I've phoned up are willing to sell to me as they are! Only thing is... they sell them in packs of 5 minumum! I only need 2 or 3 sheets!

If you have given up looking for it you could use Linoleum. I have used both correx (aka, coroflute/coroplast) and Lino and both work brilliantly.

MissMuffet

Cavy Slave
I have built the new cage today, My Girls and I went all over to get the bits we needed and finaly found a sign printer who had a "Scrap" (1.8m x .9m if that could be called a scrap) that he sold to me for a reasonable price. It took us a few hours and a second trip to Bunnings to buy more packs of cable ties but it is finaly done. The Piggies are popcorning and running and exploring and running some more and jumping round like mad. I still have to finish the top level which will end up as their kitchen so that the whole bottom area is for play but they seem pretty happy now. Thankyou for every one who has posted photos on this site, It made me see that the way my little one were being kept was not ideal and there are better and healthier cages. I have collected some ideas from seing all the cages and hope fuly will be able to post pictures soon.