Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bugs!!!

Piggles

Cavy Slave
Errm, Yuck!
I was in my room today getting read to change my piggies bedding. I change it 5-6 days. Well..I notice there are some bugs on the wall behind the cage. I looked in the bedding and I noticed there were a few crawling around in the bedding. So I pick up my pigs and check them over and they didn't have any bugs or anything on them thank god! They look a lot like fruit flies but are a little bit bigger. I took the bedding outside and dumped it in the garbage. They corner that they always pee in didn't come out because it was a little wet, so I hit the back of the pan and it fell out and have tons of those little bugs in it. There were also little white eggs all over it. I've never seen anything like this before. It was the grossest thing ever. My mom said they must like the pee from the pigs. WHAT ARE THESE??? Has anyone heard/seen anything like this? What do I do to make sure I don't get these again??? I change their bedding often so I have no clue how it got bugs...it was just so sick. If anyone can tell me what these are, how to make sure they don't come back, or anything please post it here.
Thanks so much to however has and info or advice!

Denise

Cavy Slave
Could it have been fly eggs (maggots)?

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
Piggles said:
Errm, Yuck!
I was in my room today getting read to change my piggies bedding. I change it 5-6 days. Well..I notice there are some bugs on the wall behind the cage. I looked in the bedding and I noticed there were a few crawling around in the bedding. So I pick up my pigs and check them over and they didn't have any bugs or anything on them thank god! They look a lot like fruit flies but are a little bit bigger. I took the bedding outside and dumped it in the garbage. They corner that they always pee in didn't come out because it was a little wet, so I hit the back of the pan and it fell out and have tons of those little bugs in it. There were also little white eggs all over it. I've never seen anything like this before. It was the grossest thing ever. My mom said they must like the pee from the pigs. WHAT ARE THESE??? Has anyone heard/seen anything like this? What do I do to make sure I don't get these again??? I change their bedding often so I have no clue how it got bugs...it was just so sick. If anyone can tell me what these are, how to make sure they don't come back, or anything please post it here.
Thanks so much to however has and info or advice!
eww!!! Sounds like you have an infestation. I had one of those with fruit flies/gnats. I had to use newspaper as bedding, and change it everyday until finally the bugs didn't come back ( I moved them to diff. room for a while.) . I also used this spray to get rid of them. At the time when the infestaion happened I had 5 hamsters and 1 guinea pig.Just keep the area super clean, and try to identify what type of bug it is. Move the piggies to a different room, if the bugs come back and lay eegs again.

Piggles

Cavy Slave
Well it's deffinatly not flies..or maybe a different kind of flies?
They reminded me of fruit flies. I have no clue where they came from though. I also have a Hamster and Chinchillas in the room and there is nothing in their bedding...just the piggies.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Been there...

Well, not in my cage, but in the house. But I was thinking that also you shouldn't leave the veggies in the cage for very long, maybe only like 30 minutes or so, because they feed off of that stuff.

Also, make sure there's no standing water or old food or drinks (like big gulps...lol) because that'll keep them around. The only thing that got rid of them besides the stuff I just said was fly tape. They're stupid enough to get stuck to it.

Hope it helps~

~~Cheri~~

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i read that you change your bedding every 5-6 days. Most people do it every 2-3 days, some do it every day. maybe you should change more often too.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Maybe spot-clean more? Try to avoid large wet areas.

Piggles

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
i read that you change your bedding every 5-6 days. Most people do it every 2-3 days, some do it every day. maybe you should change more often too.
Oh, I guess I could try that, their cage is quite large and doesn't get very dirty fast...so I just never seen a need to clean it more than that.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
well, if its a larger cage, then i don't think you need to worry about it as much. Maybe for just the couple of weeks until you get rid of the bugs you could clean more?

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
They have these bug tape strips you can hang from the ceiling they work well get some of those. And spot clean and keep a close watch on the piggies. The bugs are probably attracted to the veggies and maybe the extra acid that guinea pigs have in their urine.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
by the way, how big is your cage?

Piggles

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
by the way, how big is your cage?
It's a 2X5 C&C cage, Why???

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
That is a really big cage...just curious in case size was affecting the smell. How many pigs have you got in it?

Piggles

Cavy Slave
Two Male Piggies

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
lucky piggies...well size and space certainly isn't the problem. you might have to go through some other method of debugging (I make it sound like its a computer, not a cage)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's big, yes, but I don't think the size would affect it that much. Do you use a litter pan? Perhaps you can toss it if you do. There may be something on that. You also may want to try towls or fleece for this week or so, and change it every day. You won't waste money on bedding, and the bugs can't really get into it. If they do, just pop it in the wash. (Sorry, I was in England this summer. It rubbed off a bit.) Good luck, and eeeewww! I hope you can figure this out. How many piggies do you have in there? I now have a 2x5, a 2x3 upper level, and a 2x1 loft. That's a 2x9 in all, and it's for 2 lucky pigs... =)

Piggles

Cavy Slave
lol, well the bugs are gone. It just looked like they were in the corner my pigs usually pee in. I am just going to keep the coner clean and they probably won't be back! :)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's great news! I'm glad they're gone.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
I'm glad they're gone. Did they leave on their own?

Piggles

Cavy Slave
Well they were all mainly in the cage in that corner. So after I threw out the bedding they were just gone...I was just worried why it was happening so these gross things don't come back!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.