Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

bugs in food

oreo33

Cavy Slave
today when i went to go get my pigs some pellet food there were termite- ant looking bugs all around my plastic container. There was only 1 inside, but i threw the food out anyways. Why did this happen. What are the bugs. Is it the food or something else.

oreo33 said:
today when i went to go get my pigs some pellet food there were termite- ant looking bugs all around my plastic container. There was only 1 inside, but i threw the food out anyways. Why did this happen. What are the bugs. Is it the food or something else.

~Bugs sometimes do get into the pellets. I don't remeber what the bugs are called but they like grains, oats and all that suff too. I thought there was also another way to kill the bugs or something but this helps: when storing large amounts of food (or just any really lol) put it in the freezer. It stops them from comming and im pretty sure it kills exsisting ones too, but I would just throw it out if I found any bugs because I'm not positive it kills them, just prevents them from coming. Getting bugs can happen to anyone its not just the food, the bugs like it but its not ''bad'' or anything. Yeah so putting food in the freezer prevents buggies from coming.~ ~c~

Sounds to me like if there was only 1 inside, they must have come from the outside
so it probably wasn't the food.

Yuck, that's disgusting! I store mine in a sealed rubbermaid storage bin, and I've never had a problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.