Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Bugs in cage. Help.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
I have found bugs in my girls' cage twice these past few weeks. And twice is more than enough.

One was found in their hay when I was cleaning their cage. I don't know what it was, but it was white, about 1 cm long and 2 mm wide. It also seemed to have pinchers (SP?) at the back and antennaes at the front.

I know that one is a young bug though. I've seen an adult one in the bathroom before. It had a shell like a cockroaches (I know it isn't one because I've seen my fair share of baby and adult cockroaches when I went overseas). It was about 2 cm long and 1 cm wide.

I'm not quite sure how it got into their hay, but since I have seen them in the bathroom before, I assume they came from there.

The other one was a small bettle, less than 1 cm wide and long. I found it in my girls' pellet bowl just a few minutes ago.

I have no idea how it got in their cage though. But, I had just opened a new bag of pet store hay last night. Could it have came from there?

I've also been finding gnats/small flies (I don't know what they're actually called) in my room. (I try to kill them as soon as I see them, but they are fast buggers.) They probably came from outside since they're small enough to get through the mesh at the windows.

I don't have air con, so I have to open the windows. Which also means that those annoying small creatures could come in.

Either way, whether the bugs had been from the hay or not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the bugs away from the cage and my room in general?

Liknvi

Cavy Slave
For the first insect you described, it sounds like an earwig. I get them a lot in my house. They're usually a brownish shade in adulthood, but are white in the nymph stage.

So far the only solution I've had is EcoSmart pesticide, but it smells quite strongly, even though it's all natural. If anyone else has any ideas, it would help a lot of people.

Kota12

Cavy Slave
And as for the gnats, maybe you can buy one of those fly tape roles and hang it near their cage. If they're lingering around then maybe spot clean more often.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
Will that work for ants and is it safe around all animals? I have ants in my nieghborhood and no matter how much I clean they seem to think my house is a great place to live.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
The ones in the pellets look like this: Wheat weevil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had gotten a cheap bag of pellets at one time from the petstore and later in the week my whole house was INFESTED with them. They were in my cereal, my rice, everywhere and all you can do is throw away all the food and seal everything in plastic bags. Even the food in boxes without plastic like the rice, the macaronie in the mac and cheese boxes EVERYTHING and hope they don't find any crumbs to live off of. I did this for an entire year and I STILL had them. I threw away all my food before I moved and I only found a few after that in my new place and I am still sealing everything until its been a year since I've seen ANY. So here I am 4 years later still sealing my stuff. It is terrible and I cannot eat cereal anymore because I kept finding them floating in my milk after I ate all my cereal. Needless to say I will never be able to do fear factor eating contests! Haha I HOPE you don't have these...

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
The ear wig isn't that big of deal. It's probably just in your house because it is thirsty. They only breed in damp dirt so it's not a big worry.

The beetle in the pellets is though. I'd throw out all the pellets and buy new. You don't want wheat beetles in your house like OneTwo said, they are a pain.

Gnats/Fruit Flies - they generally come from fruit or wet drain. They love garbage disposals! Try setting out a bowl with some red wine or apple vinegar mixed with dish soap. The bugs will be attracted to the dish then drown. Vinegar and baking soda down the drain should kill their breeding ground.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
I've searched it up, the first bug is an earwig.

The beetle wasn't a wheat bettle. It was more round, like a dung beetle, and really flat. But it's definitely a bettle cuz of the wings. It didn't have the long heads some beetles have. It was entirely black, and I could hardly see its legs from a bird's eye view.

And I've just searched through the entire bag of pellets. There weren't any bugs in there. I wonder where the bettle came from.

As for gnats, I'm not really having much trouble with them at the moment. Not in my room at least. It's just the occassional one or two which I klll as soon as I could via squishing them.

Last week I found lots in the garbage bag in the kitchen though. I threw them away along with the garbage bag, but some flew out when I was tying the bag up.

I'll look around to see if there's any vinegar around.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
A good solution for gnats, fruit fly's, and fly's is to get apple cider vinegar put it in a class jar with a small drop of dish soap, put plastic wrap on top tight (with rubber band) punch some small holes on the wrap and leave it in the area where the bugs are; they will go in there and drown. It works like a charm! Also works great at picnics :D!

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Found some apple cider vinegar.

Would a small layer, about 5mm deep, be fine?

And how much dish soap should I put in it?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Just a little bit. The gnats will get stuck in the soap and die.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
I remember blowing bubbles as a kid and leaving the soapy water outside. Then, the next morning, the bowl was full of bugs. Back then, I didn't get why it happened, only that it was annoying because who likes looking at a bowl full of dead bugs anyways?

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
We made gnat traps out of 16 ounce water bottles. Cut off the top portion (about 2 inches from the opening) set it inside it's self and secure it with tape fill with apple cider vinegar, little water, dome dish soap. When they go in they can't come back out.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Nice. But too bad I can't do that, simply because I don't buy bottled drinks. To me, bottled water always have a taste of plastic. I don't like that. And I'm just not into soft drinks. I'm alright with juice, but I prefer actual fruit juice and not just juice from concentrate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.