Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hamsters Bugs found in my Hamster Cage

GuineaPigParent36

Cavy Slave
I know I’m not on a hamster forum but I was hoping for some advice and the conformation email for Hamster Central didn’t send.

I recently saw a bug in my hamster’s cage while moving it. I was able to take a picture. The bug was under the bedding. I plan to do a deep clean to ensure there aren’t any more.

I freeze all of the bedding and food for a couple days before using it so I don’t know how a bug got in/if it’s just the one bug but I really don’t want to chance it. I recently did open a new bag of food but I froze it first.

My main problem is that I only have a bit of bedding left and it was stored under the cage. If there are more bugs, is that bedding safe to use? I can get more bedding of course but I usually freeze it first and I don’t want to not freeze it and make the situation worse. Is it safe to wait that long?

Also if I do find more while cleaning should I worry about my Guinea pigs? I store all their food in airtight bins/containers.

Any advice would be really helpful I know I’m not on a hamster forum but I saw the ‘hamster’ section and was hopeful.

You could ask on the hamster groups on Reddit too. They're much more active and would be a better bet. What did the bug look like? What bedding do the guinea pigs use?

You could ask on the hamster groups on Reddit too. They're much more active and would be a better bet. What did the bug look like? What bedding do the guinea pigs use?
I will definitely look into that. I use fleece with my Guinea pigs. The bug looked almost beetle- like, dark brown, small and round. It seemed slow-moving and non-flying, about half an inch in diameter. I tried uploading a picture but it didn’t work.

Could have been a carpet beetle or something. Pigs are mostly likely safe. Maybe just a straggler and not something actually infesting the ham's cage. I would continue freezing bedding, food, etc for now. The piggies will likely be fine as is the hamster.