Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Forages buckwheat grass, lemon grass, aloe plant leaves

winstonandwally

Cavy Slave
I am growing buckwheat grass and just want to make sure that it is cavy safe before i feed it. i have checked the list :) didn't find it on the "no's" or the "yes's"........

I also saw lemon grass and aloe plant leaves in the produce section of the grocery store and wondered if they would be safe and/or likes?

is there a wild grass or herb list that i can refer to? I have started a personal list and added items to my do's and don't but haven't had much luck researching in these areas. hopefully it isn't right infront of my face :)

thanks!

I am curious to know this too... I have an aloe plant and it would be neat if I could give my piggy a leaf once in a while, I know people drink aloe juice and stuff.... Hope someone can answer!! lol

Wheat grass is fine. Nothing is known about whether lemon grass or aloe is good for them, or would kill them on the first bite as far as I know.

The "Read Me" stick in the Diet and Nutrition section, here, (https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html), has plenty of things for guinea pigs to eat. Why risk the health, and possibly the life, of your pig by giving it some exotic plant that you probably don't even eat yourself?

I would not feed it unless I knew it was safe, hence my inquiry :).

aloe is used to treAt gastrointestinal issues in humans and lemon grass i believe is frequently used in oriental cooking to add flavor. I use aloe weekly myself.

These are the lists that I have been carrying in my purse for grocery shopping :). They have been helpful, wish we knew about other foods just for curiosity's sake

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.