Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Brown urine....UTI ????? SOS

Piggie23

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone....

I have two g-pigs and I'm not sure which one or both is peeing funny. I've read other posts on here but am still not sure. Yesterday I cleaned out their mega fleecy cage and temporarily put them in a C n C cage with white coroplast bottom and noticed browny urine. I washed both of them (gently with antiseptic wash) and dried them and put them into their big clean fresh fleecy cage. I put paper towel down in their litter boxes and the pee today is browny. Im not sure which guinea pig is doing it, but they are big patches so Im suspecting its my mature piggy (hes a recent adoption). Hes a one year old boar and the rescue had him vet checked all okay, so I don't know. My other is a little male boar 4 months old. All eating well, drinking heaps.No smell. Any ideas?

I have some Baytril if that helps a possible UTI? The long easter weekend here may delay a vet check!

Thanks,

Mel

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
It is most likely the younger piggy, as young piggys often have an Orange tint to their urine. My girls, both young as well, have a tint like that.

I am no expert, but a quick look at GL is telling me ^^that.

I would like a better opinion, though, because my girls urine always looked a bit brown when I used to use towels rather than U-Haul pad and Black fleece (now I can't tell)

I am pretty sure Piggy pee isn't a clear color ever, though, is it?

Also, don't use paper towel for their litter. Did you just use it to see if the urine was orange? Either way, not permanently. Either make liners with U-Haul pad or store bought litter.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
My response might have been a little bit unclear.

Most urine DRIES Brown. I would only worry if the Urine has a Pinkish hue (this hints to bloody urine)

The main signs of a UTI are blood in urine, and squeaking while peeing.

:)

MissJean

Cavy Slave
This is a quote from guinea lynx's medical reference on UTI's (Guinealynx.info) :

"Blood in urine:

Urine sometimes changes to an orange color on standing (this may be the oxidation of porphyrins in the urine). When your guinea pig has blood in its urine, it will appear red or pinkish (if diluted). Blood dries a brownish color."

Piggie23

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your reply. Its nearly 3am in Oz here and I was worried!

No blood, no squeeky pees, brilliant. I usually use a recycled compressed paper kitty litter, just used the paper for a peepee test. I thought it may have been something they ate or a UTI. Thanks for the reassurance!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
This is a quote from guinea lynx's medical reference on UTI's (Guinealynx.info) :

"Blood in urine:

Urine sometimes changes to an orange color on standing (this may be the oxidation of porphyrins in the urine). When your guinea pig has blood in its urine, it will appear red or pinkish (if diluted). Blood dries a brownish color."

Just out of curiosity, what does "standing" mean? Does it mean after it has been exposed to Oxygen for a bit?

Catbrown90

Cavy Slave
I was finding brown wee in my cage with my 5 month old boar...turns out when he wees it would be over his little poos and the poo was making it change colour!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Just out of curiosity, what does "standing" mean? Does it mean after it has been exposed to Oxygen for a bit?
Yes. It's noy fresh-just out of the piggy, it's been there a bit and is starting to dry. The longer it's there, the darker it tends to get.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Yes. It's noy fresh-just out of the piggy, it's been there a bit and is starting to dry. The longer it's there, the darker it tends to get.

Thanks! I was worried after I saw this thread that my girls pee was abnormal, but I learned that it isn't. Good to know, thanks Petlovr!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Your welcome. The first time I saw bunny pee I was worried because it was cloudy, not real clear like peoples. At least you're watching and taking good care of your piggies. It sounds gross, but with anything-people, animals, what goes in must come out. You can tell a lot about health by watching urine and feces-it's often the first indicator that something is wrong. I'm always looking at poos and pees so I can catch a problem early.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Your welcome. The first time I saw bunny pee I was worried because it was cloudy, not real clear like peoples. At least you're watching and taking good care of your piggies. It sounds gross, but with anything-people, animals, what goes in must come out. You can tell a lot about health by watching urine and feces-it's often the first indicator that something is wrong. I'm always looking at poos and pees so I can catch a problem early.

While the thread is open, my girls poops tend to be wet. Not mushy at all, just shiny. I actually can't even tell if they were wet...... or just shiny. They get water in their veggies which I don't want to stop doing, so unless the problems grow to diarrhea level, should I stop watering them down?

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
You should not need to water down their veggies unless they aren't drinking enough water. I have "hard" water with a lot of calcium in it, and one of my girls has gritty white urine. I started using bottled spring water, and the urine seems to be getting better. If your pigs aren't drinking enough, maybe they don't like your water. I think they taste more than we do, just like they smell more than we do. Anytime I give spring water, even to cats or dogs, they drink more.
Wet, shiny poo is normal, as long as it's formed (holds its shape). It needs to be wet so it can come out. Just keep an eye on it.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
You should not need to water down their veggies unless they aren't drinking enough water. I have "hard" water with a lot of calcium in it, and one of my girls has gritty white urine. I started using bottled spring water, and the urine seems to be getting better. If your pigs aren't drinking enough, maybe they don't like your water. I think they taste more than we do, just like they smell more than we do. Anytime I give spring water, even to cats or dogs, they drink more.
Wet, shiny poo is normal, as long as it's formed (holds its shape). It needs to be wet so it can come out. Just keep an eye on it.

They don't usually drink much, but usually their water bottles are 1/8 or so gone. Sometimes they drink a whole bottle...... I think I will keep watering down their veggies. Well, not really watering down, but I fill the containers with water and let it drain out. I keep a bit of water in the bottoms of the containers.

Hrm...... The water from my kitchen tastes a lot less pure than from my bath room. But we don't have hard water...... So as long as their poops stay formed nicely, I won't stop watering them down.

Thanks so much!

schavarry

Cavy Slave
You might try buying a pair of latex gloves, or disposable gloves so you can check and see if the poops are mushy or just shiny. Some of my pigs can be shiny, and if they're mushy they MIGHT be fresh but that's hard to tell if you're not watching them...

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
You might try buying a pair of latex gloves, or disposable gloves so you can check and see if the poops are mushy or just shiny. Some of my pigs can be shiny, and if they're mushy they MIGHT be fresh but that's hard to tell if you're not watching them...

I know this may sound gross, but I am no wimp to touch poos with my bare hands. Hehe. Of course I wash thoroughly with hot water and soap afterwards, obviously.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I know this may sound gross, but I am no wimp to touch poos with my bare hands. Hehe. Of course I wash thoroughly with hot water and soap afterwards, obviously.

lol Good for you! Well that's one way to get it done!! :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Zuidy, it would be best next time to start your own post, or add to one you already have about your pigs in the medical section.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Zuidy, it would be best next time to start your own post, or add to one you already have about your pigs in the medical section.

Derp. I meant to just get an answer and then leave, but.....

It does save room, right? Or are we not that picky about saving space? I am at a gaming forum that is always riding you to save room and just "ask it here".

Meh, regardless, I am done here. Thanks for letting me know FCC!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
No worries. I think when two different people ask about two different topics on the same thread it can get confusing between who is answering who!

Piggie23

Cavy Slave
Thanks, it sounds gross but could be true too! The poo helping the pee to turn browny. No mushy poos. No squeeky pees. Im a happy pig camper. Thanks everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.