Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Broken tooth and grey streaks on the corners of his mouth.

• Thread starter SpazNMeos momma
  • Start date

SpazNMeos momma

Cavy Slave
Hello All,
Tonight i noticed after veggie time that Spaz our more shy guy had some grey stuff staining the color of his fur around his mouth. Upon a closer look I noticed his left bottom tooth is broken about half the way down then his other tooth. I hope that made since. Anyways being that I am relatively new to guinea pigs, is this normal? My husband and I are considering takimg him to the vet, but i dont want to do that if this is fairly common with guinea pigs. If you need a pic of what im talkin about i can post one. I was trying to do this in a hurry that way I get some advice and my husband and I can quit worrying about our little guy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Broken teeth are fairly common, particularly if you've got a bar chewer. I'd watch him very closely for the next day to be sure he can get hay into his mouth. If not, you'll have to hand feed it to him. And watch as the tooth grows out to make sure it's not going wonky. His teeth should even up ok.

Even exotic vets get clipper happy when they trim their teeth, and then you wind up having to hand feed. I'd do almost anything to keep from having to have a pig's teeth trimmed.

Please post a picture if you can. I'm wondering about the grey stuff staining his fur. Does it smell bad?

I'd weigh him daily to make sure he's eating his normal amount.

Yeah, a picture would be nice. But if it's mostly on the side with the broken tooth, and it doesn't smell bad, it may just be that he's drooling some out of that side of his mouth. But if there's any odor, get him to an exotic vet quickly. Don't ever trust a dog-and-cat vet with a guinea pig's mouth.

Well the grey streaks only happen after veggie time so im thinking its just food running out. Its gone this evening so if it happens again ill get a picture. The staining doesnt smell at all, and he hasent lost any weight. Still eating his hay and veggies not as much pellets as before but i think that may be due to the fact that he cant chew them as well now. When we do veggie time tonight ill post a pic. I called thier vet and he said the same thing that you all have suggested to just moniter closely and if anything causes concern to bring him in.

Glad to hear he's eating ok! My guys that have the lighter fur around their mouths always have a color change during veggie time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.