Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Broken Nail-- Dried Blood, Hangnail......

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Well, today as I took Big Sis' out for lap time, I was trimming her hair and brushing her. I have been trimming her hair over the course of a few days, and I have been thoroughly examining her while I had her out each day.

After I was done with the "bad stuff" (trimming hair, brushing... she hates both) I let her crawl into her cuddle cup. I noticed on her back right foot she has a broken nail!

The tip of the nail and a bit of the quick are the hangnail, and are twisted up instead of how a normal nail would look. It is obviously nothing old, because I just saw it today and I check her over every day.

Me, panicking that it was still bleeding, dabbed it with Styptic Powder, but I don't think it was really still bleeding.

So my question is:

What should I do? I mean, she is happy and carefree like usual. I had just clipped her nails last Friday too. So I don't think they were too long. The broken piece is still attached, however, by quite a bit. So I don't think clipping the whole thing off will be an option.

What should I do? Is this a "see a vet" situation?

Help Please?

Bump..........

I would just keep it clean, it should grow back. Maybe she got it caught on something? Sorry I cant be of much help on this

I'm not really 100% sure if I understand your description, maybe pictures would help. But it sounds fine to me, specially if she's acting normal.

How much of it is hanging off? If it comes off in a clean break, I wouldn't panic too much. A few months back I was in a similar situation. Took Joey to the vet, who said to just let it be. A few days later, it came off, leaving him with no nail. He wasn't in any discomfort and it is growing back fine as of now.

How much of it is hanging off? If it comes off in a clean break, I wouldn't panic too much. A few months back I was in a similar situation. Took Joey to the vet, who said to just let it be. A few days later, it came off, leaving him with no nail. He wasn't in any discomfort and it is growing back fine as of now.

Imagine a normally sized nail, but with all of the nail part and about 1/4 of the quick hanging.

I am really not worried though, she is acting fine and unlike most cases, the whole nail isn't ripped out. I will keep an eye on it until it breaks off, though, and then if there is more fresh blood, styptic powder is on hand. :)

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.