Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Bringing a Young Guinea Pig Home, I need advice!

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
Last Thursday, 5/7/15, I brought home a new baby guinea pig from a friend who's guinea pig had 12 babies! She desperately needed to get rid of them, so I picked up a young, 3 and a half week old baby. I've done extensive research on adding a new piggy to my existing piggy, and I've been following a guide on CavySpirit, and I've also checked GuineaLynx and other forums. From what I've read, it's best to introduce a young guinea pig to an older one that has been alone for a year or more, that's why I bought one so young. The woman I bought my guinea pig from also recommended introducing a baby guinea pig to an older, lone one. I've already researched and planned introductions, and I've spent a year saving up, (and finally building) my own C&C cage, with the recommended dimensions.
However, the transition from my new baby's old, packed home, to the more isolated room for the Quarantine has been less than smooth. I know I might be expecting too much, but it's been a couple days now, and no matter what I've tried (giving fresh veggies, talking in soft voices) nothing has helped the guinea pig warm up to me. My parents suggested holding the guinea pig, so he doesn't feel lonely, but that's only made the guinea pig more frightened and jumpy. He now darts into his house whenever someone enters the room!
The other problem is his refusal to drink water. I have been giving him lots of cucumber and celery to keep him hydrated, but I'm afraid he might become dangerous dehydrated. Otherwise, he's been eating hay and his Young Guinea Pig pellets, and all his fresh veggies.
Please give me any advice or suggestions on how to bond more with my cavy, or how to tempt him to drink water. Am I just paranoid? Might it take longer for a younger guinea pig longer to adjust? Should I skip the Quarantine and just introduce my young piggy to my older one? Thanks:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It can take a long time for a guinea pig to adjust, particularly a baby. But what I'd do, if it were me and if I could afford any possible vet bills if one or the other pig is sick, is go ahead and put them together. A lonely baby is one of the few reasons for breaking quarantine, and I wouldn't hesitate at all.

You need to be way more patient than you are about making friends with this pig. It can weeks, or months. Just be calm, put your hands in the cage a lot, even if you're just moving furniture around a little, or straightening the water bottle, or whatever. Bring yummy bits of food and offer to the baby. You'll have to put them down at first, but he'll learn to take them from your hand.

I hope your older one is a boar, because if it's not, you'll need to wait until you can have the baby neutered before you can put them together. In just a day or so, he'll be old enough to impregnate a sow.

Read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html on introductions.

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much, I guess I am just really worried! I'll defiantly heed your advice and try for the introductions, because I really don't want my baby too lonely. I'll try your suggestions with putting my hands in the cage more, does it help them get used to your scent? On a side note, my older piggy is a boar, and we've tripled-checked because we've heard all the stories about dangerous pregnancies. I know I've been asking a lot of questions, but should I bond with my guinea pig more before introductions? Thanks for the advice and the helpful link! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd go ahead and put them together.

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
Put the together now, and because your other piggie knows you and your normal routine it should help your new pig get use to you as well. He will copy your older pig and hopefully that will get him use to you and he might figure out how to drink or have the bravery to drink as he'll feel more comfortable with another pig. All advice above is great. Don't worry he will get use to you.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Boy, our weekend was pretty much the same. On Friday I adopted a 3.5 week old female to pair with my almost 1 year old female. Jet (baby) is very skittish, she was born at the shelter. I have seen in 3 days she is changing. It will take time. Pudge, my 1 yo, is getting used to her too. Good luck.

tobyandheidi

Cavy Slave
About two and a half months ago, I adopted a mother less than one year, and her 3 week old pup from a nearby rescue center. Her name is Heidi, and even after two months she freaks out and squeals VERY loudly anytime I attempt to catch her, but she's fine with taking veggies out of my hand. It does take time, she only recently figured out that hands mean food, LOL. It is a slow process to tame a guinea pig, especially a baby - but they are one of the sweetest pets you can have after taming, so it's well worth the long hours of patience. Good luck to you!

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the help! I hope my baby will turn out to be a sweetie too! He's only started eating out of my hands, maybe it's just a piggy's personality!

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
That's so funny! We'll have to compare results after the piggies settle! Good luck to you too!

tobyandheidi

Cavy Slave
Indeed it is. :) cavies can have so many different and funny personalities. Heidi is a sassy and bold one, while Lu is the delicate more sweet piggy. She lives up to her name, hehe.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
It seems like not drinking,when broght into new home is quite usual thing. My piggies just strated drinking after a week or so, but i made sure they had lots of cucumber, bell pepper and other juicy veggies.
They still don't want to be picked up -one squeeks, when i do (just while picking up, then calms down). This video might be useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S15s5KdWn_w. Best way to pick them up is, when they are in some sort of thing like a tunnel or a cozy by covering the end. They hate being in the air as this is how predators catch them. I will try to put cozy bag next to one exit hiding hut, and hope, that they will run into it.
Once they are on my lap they are calm. Braver one even took strawberry leaves from me, and was nibbling on my buttons on the shirt. :)

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
My two are not doing too well. Pudge seem to be rumblesturttting more and more, and we are a scared for Jet, the 4 week old. Jet can slip there the c & c cage grid so in our 2x3 I sectioned off a 1x1 for Jet, water, food and a shelter. She has full run off of the cage but can have piece too. Lots of snapping, peeing on, rumblestrutting, but no teeth chattering. I am hoping they are still in the get to know you phase. Jet has not challenged Pudge in any way.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't section it off. They have to work out their dominance issues, and they can't do it if you put artificial barriers in the way. Unless Pudge is actually harming Jet, as in frank bleeding, just let them be.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Okay I will take it down. Jet is just fine, it's Pudge that is the problem. My daughter thought she did see some blood on her hind quarters but not sure.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Pudge did something very interesting. After cleaning the cage and putting fresh fleece down. Both Pudge and Jet were pop-corning like crazy. Pudge pop-corned AND rumble-strutted at the same time. Never heard/seen that before. "I'm having fun...but gonna show my dominance at the same time!" It's like they help but popcorn, it's like a sneeze.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Pudge pop-corned AND rumble-strutted at the same time.

Haha mine did this too when I introduced her to her new cagemate. It was like "I'm going to be dominant and tough...but I'm so happy to have a friend that I can't contain my excitement!"
Guinea pigs are the best.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I believe that's called a rumblecorn. Or maybe a popstrut. Take your choice...

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
I believe that's called a rumblecorn. Or maybe a popstrut. Take your choice...

LOL, rumblecorn sounds like the official term, where popstrut sounds slang. I love them both!

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
When do the introductions end? We had to stop because of time after and hour or two, and by that time most of the bad behavior had gone. In the beginning, the two pigs were chasing each other, and my older boy kept mounting the younger boy, but by the end, they were sharing the treats and the older boy was only feebly chasing the younger one around. They were being very vocal. Should I put them in the cage now? Or should I try introductions again? I'm going to put them together once more for a floortime, in a neutral territory. Please share any suggestions!

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
It's been a week since we got Jet. Yea there is some chasing and rumblestrutting from Pudge but for the most part they are doing good. I will peek in on them and I would see them napping under the roof that I made them, (no hidey huts in the cage) and they would sleeping, but not next to each other. Once I enter the room, Pudge would rumble strut, it's like she is claiming me from Jet. Kinda strange.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.