Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Breeding Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherOfCavies

Cavy Slave
I am considering breeding guinea pigs. Please don't tell me that it's dangerous, and I shouldn't be doing it, because I know all that. I would like to become an experienced guinea pig breeder. I have had guinea pigs for 2 years now, and taken very well care of them.

Anyway, I am going to buy a purebred male and female, probably Silky or American, or whatever sells for more. I already have one cage for my two females, but they are too old to be bred. I am considering buying two more cages; one for the male, and the other as the "nursery". After I breed the female, I will wait a few weeks then move her into the nursery, and after she gives birth, I'll separate the males (after 3 weeks), and put them with the other male in the other cage. After 6-9 weeks, I will keep one (female), sell the rest of the "babies" (males and females), and put the Mom and her daughter with my other two piggies.

Is this a good plan? :confused:

It is ridiculous to post here regarding breeding.

It is 100% frowned upon here and not 1 member is going to reply with any advice about breeding. There are far too many homeless Guinea Pigs out there.

Your "plan" sounds disgusting to me. Any form of breeding is disgusting. You may have taken great care of your Guinea Pigs in the past, but you clearly don't take care of Guinea Pigs well enough if you think breeding is a good idea.

I don't see why you would have posted this here. It is only going to start a flame war unless a moderator gets it closed.

@bpatters
@suzilovespiggies

isnt this to voice opinions and help guide people in the correct direction, it may be wrong but at least motherofcavies came here to ask first.

isnt this to voice opinions and help guide people in the correct direction, it may be wrong but at least motherofcavies came here to ask first.

She didn't ask in a way like "Is it good to breed?"

She asked "Is the way I want to breed good"

So clearly she is serious about being a breeder, which is frowned upon here. I do understand what you mean though, and it is good she asked first. But you have to voice your opinions loud and clear if you want to make a difference. Which I did and I am sure many others will even more so than I did.

I'm sorry that I offended you. I just want to say that if people didn't breed guinea pigs, no one on this earth would have guinea pigs, just like me and you. I am still contemplating the idea, but I am not here to start a fight, or be looked down upon at for doing something wrong, but if I was to become a breeder, how I would do so. :( I didn't mean to start a fight.

Oh, and I am new here, so I didn't know that it was looked down upon.

I'm closing this thread. We do not give information on breeding guinea pigs. There are enough accidental guinea pig pregnancies in the world to ensure the survival of the species for many years to come without anyone risking a sow's life, and that of her pups, by breeding guinea pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.