Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bratty pigs

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Woke to the hay bin knocked over and a pig sleeping in it. Since then they are doing their best to knock it over again. I now have two C clamp clips on it, holding it to the side of the cage encase one wasn't closed right. Bratty pigs. Like I do not give them plenty of hay to lay in.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
That's funny. My Abby (Sweet Pea) tries to do whatever she can to the hay bag, but it's attached to the cage and doesn't go anywhere except she flings the bottom up so she can run behind it. She does that a lot when she runs laps around the cage. I was warned by the rescue that she was very rambunctious and they weren't wrong. lol

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Once I left a bag of hay next to the cage and they chewed a hole in it and were pulling out individual strands through it (again despite having unlimited hay in the cage). They're very silly animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Once I left a bag of hay next to the cage and they chewed a hole in it and were pulling out individual strands through it (again despite having unlimited hay in the cage). They're very silly animals.

Too funny! They're just showing you how resourceful they are. lol

Mickeys Piggies

Cavy Slave
Woke to the hay bin knocked over and a pig sleeping in it. Since then they are doing their best to knock it over again. I now have two C clamp clips on it, holding it to the side of the cage encase one wasn't closed right. Bratty pigs. Like I do not give them plenty of hay to lay in.
I sometimes give mine a vitamin c cookie from oxbow as a treat if I'm running out of veg. Nemo, he is really stubborn. So when I took a cookie out and handed it to him he didn't want it, but would take a nibble now and then, so I left to wash my hands and find he has stuck his head in the container and grabbed one. Luckily he is built pretty slim so he wasn't stuck. He got a cookie out himself and I put the old one back. Worse part is he didn't even eat it 😅. So interesting how they look like the things they do are out of spite 😂 I'll give one a bath and he chews my papers etc. I'm not sure if they have the brain capacity to do things like that. They never get you bored behavior wise.
I'll talk about it a little here since things like this fascinate me.

But I have four guinea pigs and a single leopard gecko. If anyone is thinking of having a different species, leopard geckos are very interesting for those who own guinea pigs.
Leos as many reptile owners call them are nocturnal, insectivorous, and docile more than you might think. They have the sassy attitude of a guinea pig just expressed differently.
Let's say Olli (my gecko) is a little annoyed, just not having it. I'll pick him up to hold for a bit and he'll kinda be a wiggle worm and slip through my hand. At that point I know I caught him on an off day but I do weigh him the same days as the guineas. Then I'll put him on the scale, he'll scurry off the dish. Unlike guinea pigs as they would probably run off but would show aggression like chattering or making a noise while geckos you have to learn to take a hint or else it may get nibbled on.

I might make a thread about this since I enjoy finding some quirky differences between the two animals.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

SophieBaby

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are very mischievous too!
One of my pigs, Frank, always tries to chew plastic bags whenever he can get a hold of them
And both of my Piggies LOVE the idea of sticking their heads in the hay bag

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
My pigs like to rip the hay rack off the cage wall. I'm going to have to zip tie it in place. I think my Callie is the main culprit because she also moves all of the hidey houses around and flips over the tunnels. If I move everything back to where it belongs, she does it all over again the second I'm done. :rolleyes: They also pee in their food dish if they're displeased they ran out of pellets before their next meal.

SophieBaby

Cavy Slave
They also pee in their food dish if they're displeased they ran out of pellets before their next meal.
Hahaha, my boys do the exact same thing! Sometimes they poop in the bowl instead

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Hahaha, my boys do the exact same thing! Sometimes they poop in the bowl instead

My piggies only pooped in their pellet dish once and I left it there till the next day. They covered what pellets were left with poop and didn't want to push it out of their way to eat; but they never did that again to this point (got them 3 weeks ago today).