Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brand new piggie owner.

mrwest9982

Cavy Slave
Hello all, i am a brand new piggie owner and i am just getting used to how a piggie will act when they just get into a new home. I just brought home my little Mercy on the 23rd of this month and i am still trying to get her accustomed to being around my family by talking to her and bringing her out of her cage to play with her and show her that neither my family or I will hurt her, what can i do and how long does it normally take for a piggie to get used to being around people? Someone please help so she won't be always in hiding for too long. Thanks a bunch in advance for everyone's feedback.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs took about, 2 months to start snuggling me when I picked them up. Now they wheek and go nuts when I walk in! I have had them for going on six months and they are so cute! I actually read to my girls. When ever I read in my room, I read aloud so they are used to my voice. I also talkout loud. Instead of thinking in my head, I think out loud so they also get used to my voice that way. They will always hide but it will get better. Try hand feeding her as well. :) Congratilations on your new pig! Will you be getting her a friend?

mrwest9982

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for the advice. My little Mercy is slowly starting to get comfortable in her new home and i try to take her out at least once a day to get used to me holding her and just being out of her cage in general. I think she is going to be just fine in her new home because both me and my family fell in love with her the first day we brought her home so i know she is in a very loving family home. Again thank you for your advice and i will surely take heed to it and if i have any updates or questions i will surely be posting again.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Thats always good. A friend would be very beneficial to her. I am glad that I was able to help! :)

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! I think how quickly your piggies get used to you kinda depends on their personality too. I have one pig who would cuddle with me with the first couple of weeks and another pig who still doesn't care for lap time. (I have had them about a year.) Only two out of the four wheek when dinner is on the way. I think the other two probably just decided to let them do the talking! Anyway, it takes some time to get them used to you. Veggies are always nice bribes!

mrwest9982

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the extremely tardy reply but thank you for your help, my little girl I guess is still getting used to the fact of being in a new home but I am just still wanting her to know that I am seriously not wanting to hurt/harm her. I give her fruits and veggies every day such as spinach and romaine lettuce, and I am exploring new veggies that she may like everyday, and I must say she is a very picky little girl, :D I guess I am just ready for her to get at least used to being around my family and I enough so that she won't run and hide every time someone moves around.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum! It's so much fun finding out the personalities of different pigs. I hope you'll share a pigture of her when you get a chance!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
running away and hiding is part of their nature. according to what i've been reading, its not uncommon for piggies to never stop hiding away.
give her a month or two to get used to people, i think its awesome you're giving her lots of attention though :)

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Cavies are prey animals and thy tend to run. My older boars will approach people but if you try to pick them up they bolt. The new little boar I just rescued runs like crazy if you so much as sneeze. One of the things I like about my cage is i can actually get in it to get them they freak out a bit less.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Getting her a cage mate might help some too. I had a single pig that never did anything but sit in her pigloo all day. I got her 2 cagemates and now I can actually see their personalities and enjoy them more.

mrwest9982

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for your input, i am seeing my little piggie's personality everyday and she is starting to become more open to people and actuslly wheeking she hear's my wife and i talk to her now, but of course she still bolts and runs around whenever i try to pick her up though. lol but again thanks again everyone for all of your insight.