Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Boys Vs. Girls, Personality Differences

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Now that we have a boy and a girl, I've noticed distinct differences. I know it could just be their individual personalities, but I'm wondering if anyone has noticed trends in the traits of boars vs. sows.

Borat is a totally laid back piggy. He toddles out when he feels like it if he hears me coming with veggies. He might wheek or he might not, depending on how lazy he feels. He's totally relaxed at lap time and soaks up the attention like he might go into a coma.

Amy is the total opposite, wheeking and popcorning when salad is on the way and letting us know vocally just how she feels at any other time. She tolerates lap time, but you can tell she's just barely containing her energy. She's always on the go.

Even in the short time we had Mufasa, I could see he was going to be a very laid-back boy. I think he would have been very much like Borat if he'd lived long enough to grow up. Borat even sometimes makes the same kind of contented little mumbling sounds when my husband pets during lap time him that Mufasa always did.

So are boys usually the lazy butts and girls usually the spitfires? Or are things evenly divided?

The only difference I have noticed between my boys and girls is that my boys smell more and are alot more messy lol! The girls gets alot more excited when I am cutting up there veggies though.

Well, I don't get my boys until may, but I can tell you about my girls. Harmony is super laid back when I hold her, she'll just chill there and purr. But Holly wheeks the entire time and is constantly moving to find her favorite spot. However in their cage, Harmony is the one who wheeks for food and chews at the bars for attention, but Holly does far more zoomies. You can't put a type to anything, you can't say all girl guinea pigs are like this, or all boy guinea pigs are like this, that's like saying all human males are like this, or all human females are like this. We're alllll different. And from what I've heard of my boys, Sundae is a quirky spit fire who craves attention, and Snickers is the shy skittish one, who loves cuddles.

I've found that my males have been much more social than most of my females. That being said, those that have lived alone have been the most social; probably because they've craved attention. My singles (which were females) lived alone because they were guinea pig aggressive and couldn't be housed with any others. We always made sure they got a lot of attention from us. Most of my other females have been more reserved. I think females might just be programmed to lay low to protect young from predators.

Jim reminded me of one more difference: Borat is actually the tidy one in our household, while Amy lives up to the pig part of her name. She uses the entire perimeter of her cage as a potty, while Borat sticks to a couple of spots. It takes me forever to touch up her cage in the morning, while Borat's is done in a couple minutes.

Jim reminded me of one more difference: Borat is actually the tidy one in our household, while Amy lives up to the pig part of her name. She uses the entire perimeter of her cage as a potty, while Borat sticks to a couple of spots. It takes me forever to touch up her cage in the morning, while Borat's is done in a couple minutes.

My males are much tidier than all of my females.

Wow I thats amazing that you guys have tidy males. I only have 2 in a 2X6 and they make more mess then all 4 of my girls in the same size cage especially in there hidy houses. Not only that but they re-arrange there cage all the time and the girls for the most part leave everything where I put it. Complete opposite!

I have and do own only one female, so I can't give a comparison...but it is very interesting reading about the differences! I would like males, but I don't want to have to deal with all of the "boar grossness" lol no perenial sac cleanings, no sperm rods, boar stank, etc. etc. :p Love my sow!! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.