Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Boys Fighting

robbydobbs

Cavy Slave
My two male adult guinea pigs are fighting. They were getting along just fine until recently, I added Slyvester to the cage with Tommy and Jerry about a week ago. I've had to separate them because the bigger one (Tommy) was chasing and fighting with the smaller one (Jerry). I have them in two separate 2 x 5 single layer C&C cages in the same room. Tommy is still with the baby (Sylvester), and they don't seem to be fighting with each other. All the guinea pigs are in the same room. Is isolating Jerry from the other two going to make him feel lonely or is he still o.k. knowing he is not alone? Also will I be able to put them back together again or am I going to have to keep them separated?

LittlePiggie

Cavy Slave
Seperate them for a week or two, then put them all back together but keep a close eye on them. If they start fighting again, then seperate them again. It is just the way the males establish dominance, if the fighting isn't drawing blood or severely hurting the others, then there really is no need for the seperation; but then again you know your bigs better than I do.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto kananaka. Read the link she gave you. Wait a few days, introduce them on a totally neutral space, put them in a thoroughly cleaned cage that smells nothing like any of the pigs. If you can, enlarge the cage to be 3x5, or 3x even larger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.