Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Boy or Girl

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
I am getting either a boy or girl (i can't decide because I love both thier personalities) on terms of smell and other issues which one would be better?

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
Many people say that male gp's smell when they have an erection. This is bogus, or at least in my case. I have two and as long as I keep the cage clean there is no odor. Male gps do get slightly bigger. Also many people say that male gp's fight. Guess what, so do females. My males have never got into a fight. I would choose males over females, but thats just my opinion. Plus im a guy so that may have something to do with it.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
I have a male. I'm very happy with him.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I only have girls. Our first pig was a girl and rather than mess with neutering, we just stuck with girls.

In reading on lists, most people like which ever they have :) How helpful. I have read from some people that the girls tend to be more vocal but I am sure it varies by pig.

Males seem to tend to be more prone to impaction and may have a musky smell than females.

If I had the space, I would not mind having a boy. I saw a cute guy this weekend that was just vastly amusing himself, popcorning all over the place. He was such a little character.

I think you will love the piggers no matter which gender you go with.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
To me, males and females are very similar. I adore my boys but on the odd occasion they do chatter to each other. I didn't get to chose anyway since I took whatever the rescue had.

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
Im saying this to everyone. Please dont spread that males smell worse (and noveil this is not directed toward you because lots of people have heard this and have no proof otherwise). The rescues are filled with males because people buy them then hear that they smell and give them away. Plus people stop buying males at pet stores, so they are forced to be put to sleep. Thank you.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I was actually one of those people. I did think that males smelt more, but here I am with 2 gorgeous boars and you can't even smell a thing.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
Both my piggies have been male and they are the most affectionate, loving and talkative little (and fat) guys. They purr like crazy so I can't imagine ever having anything but males.

CactusCavy

Cavy Slave
When I first thought about getting a guinea pig, i automatically thought "girl!" (then, i AM a gal.) But when i inheirited a boy, i found them also to be very sweet as well. Even after he passed away, I'm still going with boars...i've fallen in love with a piggie and his dad at a shelter a ways away, whom i hope to get soon. :)

So, GunieasGalore, I suggest you get two boys, anyway, so that more won't be put to sleep. :( It's really not fair that sows get all the attention, and get adopted first. Save a life and get a boar. :)

GuineaTV

Cavy Slave
I'm actually allergic to non-neutered boars! Something about the scent they mark with. So, if anyone out there discovers that they're allergic to their gp, try neutering them before giving up!

My favorite pairing is sow with neutered boar. I've never heard of this kind of pair fighting, and the kissy-poo that goes on is so adorable. My boys are so ecstatic when they play with their ladyfriends!!

Many rescues neuter their animals, so you can adopt one that's already "snipped", and not panic about the procedure!

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
Huh thats strange. I had never heard of anything like that. I think I may be slightly allergic to the hay, because I can touch them and hold them and have no problem, but sometimes when I give them hay i sneeze, but I dont care, because I love my pigs.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
My mums like that with the hay. She sneezes and scratches whenever I top up the hay in the cage

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
CavyCatastrophe said:
Plus people stop buying males at pet stores, so they are forced to be put to sleep. Thank you.
LMAO I have never heard of people putting them to sleep from a pet store! OMG...I have seen them mark them down in price because they are bigger and 'less attractive' (NOT my words) then the babies. I've worked in all kinds of pet stores ever since I was like 17 and I have never experianced that (Thank the Lord!!!)

And even though many people say not to 'listen to what people tell you in petstores...EVER' I always tell people they are the same in temperment and scent. I have never noticed a smell difference between them in all my years, but I always make sure the cages are super clean too...some people don't clean the cages out as often, and even though they think it's clean, it may be the source of the smell because your pig will pick up that scent of the bedding in it's coat. Also as far as temperment goes, I have heard people say their males are more loving, but I have four females and they all have different temperments and levels of 'loviness' so I really think it's the pig, not the sex.

If I were you, I would visit with a few and see who pulls at your heart strings (but with me it would probably be every single one!! lol) see if you can find a pig that likes you as much as you like it right off the bat (of course after a while they will no matter what!), that's the best way to choose in my oppinion, not by what sex it is (or breed) because I think they're the same!

Good luck, and congrats about getting your pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~Cheri~~

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.