Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Bowl or Bottle?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've always used a bottle with Mr. Whistles. My only issue with it is keeping it clean. Every 2 days I have it soak in hot water and soap. And every month it gets a hot water and bleach soak. Both soaks are followed with thorough hot water rinsing.

Does anyone have a preference? And why do you prefer to use the bowl or bottle?

Thanks

I prefer a bottle; water bowls can be too easily soiled or spilled.

Bowls can be spilled quite easily. I tried a bowl and my pigs either ran laps through it or tried hopping over it unsuccesfully no matter where I placed it. It was unsanitary and got the fleece soaked. Some people can use bowls with better results,though.

I think once you have been changing water bottles daily ( or every other day) you kind of just get into the routine and stop caring so much. I have a bottle per pig, and I think it only takes me 5 minutes to do a daily vinegar rinse. I also clean the spout and bottle with a Q-tip and brush during this short time.

Hm....I never tought to use a Q-tip to clean the spout.

I would only use a bottle. I clean it every other day with hot water.

Also, I wouldn't use soap to rinse them. Just nice hot water. Vinegar would work, too, as stated above.

The SPCA I adopted my piggies from had a bowl of water, and they said they recommend a bottle because the bowl gets spilled very frequently, so I would recommend the same for the same reason. Fortunately the piggies had no problem transitioning from a bowl to a bottle.

I also definitely agree with the Q-tip idea; I've been using small firm cotton balls because it's what we have at the moment, but I will totally use that idea! :)

I always thought a bottle was the way to go, but I was worried that Mufasa wasn't getting enough water from the bottle when I brought him home (in retrospect, I think he was just playing with it). I gave him both a bottle and a bowl, and he uses both equally. He seems to enjoy the bowl, and he has a plastic ledge I keep it on so he doesn't really spill it or get it all that messy. I figure I'll let him keep both unless the bowl becomes a mess or spill problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.