Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fruit BOTH of my pigs will not eat oranges?!?!!? IS THIS A PROBLEM?!

Mr. Pig

Cavy Slave
Neither of my boys will eat orange slices that i put in the cage ever! How else can I give them vitamin c?!

Neither of my boys will eat orange slices that i put in the cage ever! How else can I give them vitamin c?!
Calm down. lol

Citrus fruit is neither the only source of vitamin C, nor the best. My pigs don't like oranges either.

For starters, good pellets will have vitamin C in them. As far as veggies, bell peppers are a very good source, and many pigs seem to like them. Kale is another vegetable high in C.

This thread has a lot of information about veggies that your pigs can have, and what sort of nutrition they can get out of them: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-cavy-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730

Vitamin C is in a lot of other fruits and veggies. I recommend bell pepper. Orange slices can cause mouth sores, and have a ton of sugar added on.

Don't worry. Oranges are far from the only fruit/vegetable to have Vitamin C. :)

I've given mine a slice of an orange a few times and he just ignores it.
Your pigs should get enough vitamin C from their pellets and veggies that you feed them every day.

This chart is amazingly helpful when it comes to figuring out what to give so they get their vitamin C. https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

Edit- I knew someone else would link the chart. :D It really is that helpful when it comes to figuring out what to feed, and how much!

My girlies won't eat oranges or bell peppers, but I give them Vit C tablets daily so they get plenty. It seems like they don't like fruits/veggies that are super watery or juicy.

I've also seen that lots of piggies dont like the texture. Mine will lick at it and seem to like the juice well enough but they wont eat the actual orange. They dont like bell peppers that much but if i give them enough time they eat them. So if you give them the bell peppers and it takes some time for them to eat it don't give up!

My pig loves orange (well, and any type of fruit) but always ignores red pepper when I give it to her. All pigs are different!

I've been looking into vit c tablets, but can't seem to find any without sugar :(

I think it has something to do with being in a herd, and always being concerned that you won't get your "fair share" of food, but my pigs will eat just about anything. They occasionally get a small piece of orange. For 2.5 years whenever they got orange, they'd eat the pulpy fruit bit, and leave the skin. In the last six months, they've started to eat the skin as well!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.