Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Both Females Are Fighting Help Please

mikey1990

Cavy Slave
hi all, im new here but i am looking for a bit of advice on my two pigs. I got them from the same litter & i have had them for a month now and they are fighting, blood is not being shed but i am really bothered about them both. They are both female's, but it seem's as one of them is biting the other's bum but then the one who is biting the other's bum shakes her's. I have read up on this behaviour and it says it happens when they are mating ?

i have got them a 2 tier cage, but they dont go upstairs.

please can somebody help me out on this ??

What type of cage do you have? If it's too small, they will most likely fight and may injure each other. Have you looked at the cages on the front page here-- Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home ?

Are you sure of the gender of the pigs? Where did you get them? Some pet stores mis-sex guinea pigs so it's possible you have a male as well as a female, or even two males.

this is my cage, [GuineaPigCages.com] Both Females Are Fighting Help Please

i am not sure on how to sex my guinea pig's they both have two 'nipple' type things on the under side of there tummy's does this mean anything??

just checked that now and they are both female.

Thanks for posting a pic of your cage type.

Unfortunately, it's not suitable for guinea pigs. The ramp is much too steep, which is probably why they are not using it. Guinea pigs aren't climbers--they will usually only use ramps which are not steep, and that have a railing or side to them.

Also, it's not large enough. Guinea pigs need space to run around. Check out the link in my first post above and take a look at the cage size standards, and look at photos of some very nice cages.

have you got an idea on which cage to get them? as i am not sure on how to build one myself, i could follow the instructions but i have not got the funds at the moment to build my own. I dont know why pet's at home sold me this advertising it as a guinea pig cage if its not suitable for them

You will need at least a 2X4 grid cage for two piggies, however bigger is always better. Most places that make pet stuff are only in it for the money. They want to sell a cage that a lot of people will buy so that they can rack in the cash, they are not thinking of your cavys health.

i have tried to look for them to buy in the uk but i cannot find any c&c grids

what size is a 4 x 2 c&c cage in inches? as my piggies are indoors and i need to think about the room before ordering one!

A 2x4 C&C is 28x56 inches. Each grid is 14 inches.

If 2x4 doesn't fit your space, you can make a 3x3, or a 2x3 with a 1x2 L-shape.

can you show me an example of a 3x3 or a 2x3 with a1x2 L shape please? sorry to bother i am just unsure on this

Found these in the gallery.

L-Shape 2x3 + 1x2
[GuineaPigCages.com] Both Females Are Fighting Help Please

3x3
[GuineaPigCages.com] Both Females Are Fighting Help Please

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.