Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Borax and Guinea pigs?

brupoppiggies

Cavy Slave
So I went into the children's room to gather laundry only to discover my little one's ant farm knocked over and empty. >((Someone remind me again why I let THAT into the house????) Sure enough there are a couple ants in the guinea pig cage.

I am cleaning it with vinegar and changing all the bedding, giving the boys a bath and tossing their hay/food that was in the cage.

We don't use pesticides at all, my oldest is severely allergic so I am very concerned about putting out ant traps as they have pesticides in them. But I have hear that borax works well. Obviously I can not sprinkle it IN the cage but if I put it behind the cage or in bowls under the cage is that safe?

And no more ant farm!

Borax usually only works on certain kinds of ants. What type were in the ant farm?

Can you put the legs to the cage in bowls or pans with the borax? I think the ants actually have to come in contact with the borax for it to do any good, so just having bowls of it under the cage likely won't be helpful. But if they have to crawl across it to get to the legs of the cage, it might help.

When we have a problem with ants outside around the door, we mix borax with sugar. The sugar attracts them and then they eat the borax with the sugar. It works well for us. We just have to hide it from the dogs. I think it should work as long as piggies and other pets aren't in direct contact with it!

Hi, Thank you all. I didn't have time to respond before tonight but wanted to say thank you.

I don't know what kind they are/were they were just small and black. I did put wheels on the cage and bowls of borax under, so far we have not seen any more ants around the cage so hopefully that means it's working.

I have set up the play pen grids around the cage for floor time to keep them out. So far it's working. I'm nervous about putting sugar out just because I really don't want to attract more, but I will remember that for around the work shed next spring (always get ants out there!)

Anyway THANK YOU THANK YOU again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.