Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Books

Scintie

Cavy Slave
So my partner picked me up a couple books from the library of cavies to read.
Guinea Pigs from the Animal Planet library- not bad. Pretty accurate info and even mentions c&c cages
The Guinea pig handbook- by some supposed vet. Omg I just want to burn every copy of this book. I feel bad for any guinea that has a owner that doesn't know better then to follow this "handbook". I'm only a little bit into it and will probably finish it (taking none of it as real advice. Just for a laugh at how ignorant this get is)

There is a minimal cage size guidelines in there for 1 pig they recommend 1 foot x 2 foot.
5 pigs they recommend 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 feet. Wth? Can 5 guinea pigs even move in such a tiny cage? It erks me that unknowing people might actually pick up the book and follow those guidelines.

It also talks alot about breeding and buying from breeders. Adopting was the last option on the list of acquiring a guinea.

Also encourages wheels and balls.

Just had to rant and get it out there that this book deserves to be used as firewood.

What an awful book!! I agree, burn it!

Regarding cage sizes being innappropriate, just found this:(broken link removed)

It is described as a 'large' cage, and people are buying it! What a disgrace!!

Sticking on topic however, i have never seen a book here in which they describe such awful conditions to keep a gp in!! Every one i have seen always state they need a lot of space, and daily access to runs etc. Awful to know people may be purchasing such garbage! Poor gps!! :(

I just noticed my text talk in there and can't edit it. I apologize I'm usually very good about keeping text talk off forums, but I was typing pretty fast and was irritated.

1. When was the book published?
2. Ask the librarian to pull that book from the shelf, as it is dangerous and mis-leading. Direct her to Guinea Lynx if she has questions.
3. Contact the publisher, and tell them they are sorely mis-informed, and need to amend the book.

I bought books and read up before I got my Daisy, and everything it told me was wrong! Stupid book! I was so angry for wasting my time. Thank goodness I found this website. Probably saved my Daisy's life from being miserable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.