Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Bonding

Kezza

Cavy Gazer
Hi,

I have three boars, we adopted two already bonded and got the other on his own, we have been very reluctant to bond him with the two already bonded boars because one of them possibly has a brain lesion due to neglect from his previous owner, he also gets ill due to this and not so long ago he bit his brother on his stomach and on his private parts and as the baby is hormonal and just wants to hump the other two we thought it was best that we didn't try again, plus the snippy one did bite the baby one the other day, he didn't hurt him though, I keep saying baby he's around 5 - 6 months old.

So I called a pet rescue and they said they won't bond a boar + boar only a neutered boar + sow and advised me to get him neutered which I really don't want to do as I don't agree with it, there's nothing wrong with him medically.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? Do I get another boar and if so what kind of age would be best?

Thanks in advance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put a third pig in with an established pair. It usually doesn't work, although there can be exceptions. And the six-month old is going to keep humping things for the next several months, or maybe years.

I'd get him a friend, preferably a neutered sow if you can find one. Or take him to a rescue and let them help you find one to pair him with.

Kezza

Cavy Gazer
I did contact one rescue but they won't help and the rescue I originally got my two older boars from isn't that great, incorrect information was given to us about the bores, one had a under lying problem which caused him to get ill but of course I got the blame for him getting ill and so on. All the other rescues are just too far away. That's pretty much why I was posting on here for help :(

I'll check around for a neutered sow, but if anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to post them :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd contact the rescues even if they're some distance from you. Most rescues have their pigs in foster homes, which can be anywhere, and one might have a home nearer you than their address would indicate.

Kezza

Cavy Gazer
Good idea, I'll have to do a bit of looking around and enquiring :) thanks.

Kezza

Cavy Gazer
By the way, when I was saying that the rescue wasn't very good, I don't mean they are cruel to the guinea pigs or anything, it was more to do with incorrect information when adopting the boys and then when one was ill, plus they have a very rude person that "helps" them who has had arguments with various people, the lady who actually had the rescue running from her home is actually quite nice, we've never blamed them for the fact that one of the boys possibly has a lesion, because that was down to neglect previous to the rescue getting them. Even though I haven't named the rescue and never would, I just wanted to clarify that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.