Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonded pair now fighting over another pig

callaslily

Cavy Slave
Ok, so we have a pig. He (or she?) is very shy and an only. I have been wanting to get him (or her) a buddy for a while, but since we are not 100% sure of what sex he (or she...you get the idea) is, I have been reluctant. Recently a friend of mine was getting rid of her two pigs (possibly female) and since we love our little guy so much I said we would take them. The are bonded and she has never had a problem with them, they huddle and love each other. We introduced them to my guy and they almost instantly started chattering at each other. Whenever they are in their cage (which I put beside the old cage) they are at each other, but when I put them outside in the outside pen, they are buddies again. (Of course our pig starts churping as soon as they get into their cage.) I would like to keep the new pigs if possible but not quite sure what to do and certainly don't want to distrupt a bonded pair.

Any advise you can give is appreciated!
Lily

lalitalotus

Cavy Slave
Well I would say your first step is to sex that piggy here are some links that may help you with that:
http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Also, it is recommended that you quarantine any new arrivals for 2-3 weeks to make sure your existing pig doesn't get any sicknesses from them. As far as the "chattering," I'm not entirely sure what you mean, maybe you could describe the sound and their behavior? Are they fighting/chasing each other? If not, maybe they are just getting a little too excited about the new pig.

But please don't put all three of them together until you know the sex of your pig, I'm sure you don't want two pregnancies. If you have trouble sexing him/her you can post some pictures of his/her "downstairs" and we can help you out.

callaslily

Cavy Slave
They are definitely not being friendly to each other. They are chasing each other and making a noise like chattering teeth. Once again, when they are outside away from our old one they snuggle up together.

I am downloading my pictures off my camera and will post them as soon as I can. I 'think' that our old one is a girl and the two new ones are boys (which I must say occurred to my based on their behaviour). The two news ones are significantly larger than the old one.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Like lalitalotus said, before you start doing introductions you need to quarantine your two new pigs for 3 weeks.

Once you do that you can start your introductions. Here is a link to the forum's site about doing introductions.
http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

But remember, Quarantine first, introductions second!

callaslily

Cavy Slave
My plan was to keep them separate, since I presumed (or at least didn't want to take the chance) that they were different sexes. My big problem right now is what to do with the two new ones. As soon as I bring them inside they start fighting. They aren't in the same cage as the old pig, just the same room. Do I need to keep them in different rooms?? I really don't want them hurting each other and I don't want to 'unbond' them.:confused:

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
your two new pigs can be kept together (so long as they don't fight) and should be kept as far away as possible from your original pig, so yes another room would be preferred. Also between handling your new pigs and your old pig you should wash hands, change clothes etc. so that nothing gets spred.

http://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html

callaslily

Cavy Slave
My problem isn't the old pig, it's the two new ones. They are fighting anytime they hear the old pig in her(?) cage. I have them outside right now, but I don't want to leave them there.

lalitalotus

Cavy Slave
Well if the 2 new pigs are boys, and your pig is a girl, then there's your problem. They are fighting over your pretty piggie girl!
As far as I understand it 2 males usually cannot be housed together if there is a female in the same room, even if she is in another cage. They will smell her, and boys will be boys, hence the fighting.
Try moving their cage into another room.

Oh and, even if you got them both neutered, they probably couldn't live with your girly, or even in the same room, as they'd still fight.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Like the poster above (I'm rather lazy right now, you've got a long name, lol) said, they are fighting over the lovely lady in the cage next to them! If they are kept apart, on opposite sides of the room, they should not fight very much. The girl should get a female friend, however, because you don't want babies, and even if the boars are nuetered, they will fight over the sow.

callaslily

Cavy Slave
Drat, I was hoping you wouldn't say that ;).

I have eased them back into their cage and even with the girl (which my son was suprised to find out his boy pig was) across the room. They seem to be getting along, but I guess all three won't be playing again anytime soon!

Thanks for the help!

Janelle

Cavy Slave
Playing again? Did you have them all together at all? If so, she may already be pregnant.

callaslily

Cavy Slave
Playing again? Did you have them all together at all? If so, she may already be pregnant.

I introduced them briefly before the other two got upset with each other (I was thinking he was the boy, so I was holding on to him). Baring Immaculate Conception, I think I am safe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.