Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bob wasnt in the cage!!!!

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
I have 2 pigs in a C&C.
I just went up to check on them and one of my pigs, Bob wasnt in there!!!!
I checked on the floor behind the cage and there he was sitting.
Hes ok, no injuries or anything.
I have my cage on top of a storage space made out of grids. That means Bob fell 2 grids length.
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT HE EVEN GOT OUT?!

My guinea pigs are capable of touching their noses to the top of the grids, male guinea pigs are bigger than they seem, and could climb out pretty easily if they had a boost.

If there are any hidey houses or anything he can climb on near the edges of the cage, I would try to keep them in the center, or use wire shelving or grids to make a lid for the cage so this doesn't become a regular occurence!

Please check his front teeth to make sure he didn't break them in the fall and make sure he can eat his food properly.

My Errol easily jumps out of his cage when I don't have a top on it. He looks like he's flying. Guinea pigs can jump! :]

Guinea pigs can actually jump really high and climb on the grids, but they only do it when really needed... or may be it's just my pigs. I only have one pig who would do that, he does it when he gets too excited about food. May be your pig got spooked by something.

Ok i moved all the stuff into the middle of the cage (even though it looks silly now).
I guess i might have to build a top to the cage. I had no idea that pigs can jump or climb. Bob probably got fed up with Otis, my other pig who is going through hes teenager stage :)

I noticed that my pigs only seem interested in escaping when they don't have some place to hide. When I'd remove their tent for cleaning they seemed pretty unhappy about it. If I put it back, they'd relax and go eat some hay, as if the tent just being there was a reassurance.

My cage has 3 hidey spots right now so that cant be it..

Closet shelving makes great lids.

Thanks bpatters! :)

Haha. Glad he is ok, I too have had a scare with missing piggies before.
I ran out of zip ties on their cage and so used one in the center only and sure enough Calypso thought it would be fun to eat it. Both girls ran right out (cage is on the floor). I chased them around and got Calypso easily, but it took a large bag of carrots and lots of coaxing for Cinnamon to give up her hiding place. Anyways, glad he's ok, and if you go to Lowes or Home Depot you can get these closet shelving things and just zip tie them to the top, very effective.

Do you know the cost of those shelf things? On a budget here :)
i also have extra grids that i can make a top with....

You can overlap spare grids to make a top and attach them with zip ties to a dowel stick. There are instructions (broken link removed).

Do you know the cost of those shelf things? On a budget here :)
i also have extra grids that i can make a top with....

If I remember correctly, I saw them for around $15 a piece at Lowes a few weeks ago. You would need two for a typical 2x5 cage, so around $30 roughly. I don't think grids will work well enough, since the connectors never stay on the corners and zip ties can't make them sturdy enough to open/close properly. You can certainly try though. :)

I would guess that grids would work just fine to keep your pig in, they don't need to be excessively sturdy unless you have bigger animals in the house that you are trying to keep out of the cage. I used zip ties to make a 2nd level loft with no other support, and 3 pigs were able to run around on top of it with no integrity issues.

Thanks! I have 3 dogs but they are blocked off from the stairs so there isnt anyway they can get up there :) I just need to be able to keep the pigs in, and be able to lift it up without it falling apart.

Please check his front teeth to make sure he didn't break them in the fall and make sure he can eat his food properly.
By the way I checked his teeth and they are fine :)

I thought I should add that while using excess grids would save money, closet shelving will be easier to lift off of the cage because it will be one or two long pieces of shelving as opposed to multiple grids connected together.

I thought I should add that while using excess grids would save money, closet shelving will be easier to lift off of the cage because it will be one or two long pieces of shelving as opposed to multiple grids connected together.
True...
Ill talk to my mom about it. Thanks!

If you make every other grid stick out over the edge by 1 square, it would provide "handles" to make it easier to lift the lid, (broken link removed).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.