Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Boars VS Sows ????

LucyNEthelle

Cavy Slave
Which have you found to be best for kids and handling? From my experience, males of any species tend to be more mouthy/nippy than females. Have you found this to be true with Boars or is there no difference between them and Sows when it comes to this? For kids, which would you prefer and why? I have a dilemma here that is going to make me make this decission so any input would be greatly appreciated! Post here or contact me privately at [email protected]

Thanks,

Teresa

In my oppinion there is really no difference in temperment. I think they're like people, everyone has their own personality. In my experiance, out side of Guinea pigs, females have been more nippy and moody (like hamsters and rats) and males have been more cuddely. I guess it depends on your expiriances! lol

They are the same I think. It doesn't really depend on the sex if the pig, its really the personality

Thanks guys! That really helps! If anyone else wants to give their opinion it's greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Teresa

I don't really see much difference between my boars and my sows. My boars right now are a little more skittish but that is mainly an age issue, not a gender issue. They are 10 and 8 weeks old. All my sows are older and more used to being handled. All of mine cuddle nicely once they get over the initial "The hand! The hand! It is going to eat me!" scramble when we take them out. The only time one of my kids have been nipped was when two girls decided to scuffle on his lap and he was attempting to get out of their way.

you will usually hear that sows are better tempered, but most who have owned both claim this to be a myth (though i do know some who really truly do claim their sows were much easier than their boars)

anyhow, im getting a pair of sows.

i agree that it purely depends on the guinea pigs personality. in my experience with 1 boar and two sows, the boar is my favorite. he is the sweetest little guy. the girls are the more active, "hyper" ones.

but thats just my piggies.

every piggies have different personality.. so you never know
my boy is actually more calm than my little girl..

the only difference I have found is my girls tend to be a little smaller than boys, but this is not always the case

yes, girls *usually* eat a bit less than boys.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.